New iPhone Firmware 1.1.2 Hacked Before Release
November 9, 2007 4:53 PM
comment(s) - last by
iPhone 1.1.1 prepped for 1.1.2 jailbreak
Apple's latest effort to thwart iPhone and iPod touch hacking futile
When Apple announced the release of the iPhone for the UK, it also announced that iPhone and iPod touch firmware version 1.1.2 would be released at the same time. Released today, firmware 1.1.2 closes the TIFF vulnerability in mobile Safari that was used to jailbreak firmware 1.1.1.
, the TIFF vulnerability no longer works. However, despite Apple's effort to lockdown the iPhone and iPod touch, firmware 1.1.2 has already been jailbroken.
Credit go to the people behind AppSnap, the same utility used to jailbreak 1.1.1 devices. According to
testing of the new jailbreak began several nights ago
, when the new 1.1.2 firmware was made available for download not through iTunes, but through Apple's website.
In its current stage, the new jailbreak requires several steps in order to complete, and is by no means release ready and user friendly. AppSnap and
still remains open for 1.1.1 only, but the new jailbreak is being prepared for the same single tap installation.
's report, firmware 1.1.1 is required in order for the jailbreak to work with 1.1.2, although it is unclear at this point whether or not this will still be a requirement once AppSnap is officially updated.
Those with hacked 1.1.1 devices may wish to hold off from upgrading to 1.1.2 since it does not appear to provide any significant upgrade. The only noticeable change is the inclusion of several international language packs.
Jailbreaking may become a thing of the past if Apple keeps its promise. Apple announced in early October that
come February 2008, developers will have an official iPhone SDK
. The announcement was well received by the developer community. Currently, third-party applications for the iPhone are done via web applications and are mostly cumbersome to use and slow in nature.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
11/13/2007 12:57:08 PM
Mac userbase is bigger today than it ever was before.
that may be true, but it's still a fraction of what windows users are.
If you deny the claim of security through obscurity then I have just one question for you. If you were a virus/malware writer looking to profit from it, which platform would you write a virus for? The system that has less then 10% of users or the one that has the other 90%? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out
"Google fired a shot heard 'round the world, and now a second American company has answered the call to defend the rights of the Chinese people." -- Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-N.J.)
Apple Changes Mind About Third Party Support
October 19, 2007, 9:33 AM
Samsung Sees Decline in Share, Shipments in a Growing Smartphone Market
July 30, 2014, 9:43 AM
UK Drivers Must Now Give Their Cell Phones to Police After a Crash
July 29, 2014, 4:37 PM
Ford to Switch 3,300 Employees from BlackBerries to Apple iPhones by Year's End
July 29, 2014, 2:08 PM
Quick Note: Hilton Hotels to Use Smartphones as Room Keys, for Check-In/Check-Out
July 29, 2014, 12:53 PM
Verizon Wireless to Receive Exclusive "HTC One (M8) for Windows" Smartphone
July 29, 2014, 9:13 AM
Report: Microsoft's Chinese Offices Raided
July 28, 2014, 9:16 PM
Most Popular Articles
Facebook Will Force Android, iOS Users to Use Messenger App This Week
July 29, 2014, 11:26 AM
Sony's Xperia Z3 Gets Detailed in Leaked Photos
July 25, 2014, 2:30 PM
Ford's Extensive Use of Aluminum in '15 F-150 Results in $395 Increase for Base Models
July 28, 2014, 3:02 PM
Report: Apple to Launch 12" Retina MacBook Air, 4K Desktop Product Later this Year
July 24, 2014, 4:33 AM
Pentagon's Priciest Project, F-35, Misses International Debut
July 25, 2014, 10:18 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Space Terrorism is a Looming Threat For the United States
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM
Facebook Aims to Provide Internet to "Every Person in the World" with Drones, Satellites
Apr 1, 2014, 10:20 AM
Retail Mobile Sites Experience Outages in Light of Simplexity's Bankruptcy
Mar 14, 2014, 8:48 AM
Tesla vs. BMW: Who Has the Safer EV?
Feb 1, 2014, 2:56 PM
Justice Leaks Details of Next HTC One Two Flagship Phone
Dec 5, 2013, 4:04 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information