Print 56 comment(s) - last by ShinoOoo.. on Feb 26 at 11:57 PM

You can run but you can't hide from the MPAA

The Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) has expanded its crackdown on online movie piracy by filing seven new lawsuits against online sites. Websites targeted include,,,,,,, and

“Website operators who abuse technology to facilitate infringements of copyrighted works by millions of people are not anonymous – they can and will be stopped. Disabling these powerful networks of illegal file distribution is a significant step in stemming the tide of piracy on the Internet,” said John G. Malcolm, Executive Vice President and Director of Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations for the MPAA.

You can read more here. (PDF)

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

Facts and Figures for 2005
By Methusela on 2/24/2006 2:19:35 PM , Rating: 3
From an industry email,

Worldwide boxoffice for 2005 was $22 billion give-or-take. The top 100 films generated $14.4 billion or 65% of the total. The top 25 - $8.3 billion or 38%. The top 10 (alone) a whopping $5.2 billion or 24% (the U.S. boxoffice was even more skewed with the top ten accounting for 27% of total boxoffice). Of the top 10 - 8 were escape/fantasy films and 2 were comedy/dramas. Of the top 25 - 11 were escape/fantasy, 8 comedy/drama, 4 drama/adventure, 1 horror, and 1 documentary.

There were 527 major releases in 2005, with the top 200 films generating a stunning 95% of global boxoffice leaving the remaining 300+ releases accounting for only 5%. Worldwide there were 7.8 billion admissions in 2005, down from 8.4 billion in 2004. North America accounted for 45%, Europe - 30%, Asia/Pacific - 18%, all others - 7%.

Clearly, the problem is the amount of crappy movies being released.

"This week I got an iPhone. This weekend I got four chargers so I can keep it charged everywhere I go and a land line so I can actually make phone calls." -- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Most Popular Articles5 Cases for iPhone 7 and 7 iPhone Plus
September 18, 2016, 10:08 AM
Laptop or Tablet - Which Do You Prefer?
September 20, 2016, 6:32 AM
Update: Samsung Exchange Program Now in Progress
September 20, 2016, 5:30 AM
Smartphone Screen Protectors – What To Look For
September 21, 2016, 9:33 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki