backtop


Print 60 comment(s) - last by rogard.. on Oct 29 at 2:25 PM


VW Up! Concept  (Source: Autoblog Green)

  (Source: Autoblog Green)
Volkswagen's tiny Up! to get a hybrid powertrain

Volkswagen (VW) is no stranger to fuel efficiency in the United States. While the company may currently known for its 200HP GTI pocket rocket and Eos retractable hardtop-chick mobile, the company also has deep roots in diesel motors.

The company is famous for its TDI engines which in recent years have been available in a number of vehicles including the New Beetle, Jetta, Passat and Touareg. TDI engines are currently on hiatus in the United States due to more stringent emissions requirements, but VW will bring to market a new Tier 2 Bin 5 TDI engine for the Jetta next year (and likely also for the Passat, New Beetle and Rabbit).

If VW has its way, consumers may have an alternative method for achieving high fuel economy with its vehicles.

VW is looking to introduce two variants of its recently introduced Up! rear-engined concept car. The tiny Up! measures just 135.8 inches from nose to tail and is only 64.2 inches wide.

The first variant of the Up! would be a small minivan aimed at families who clearly don't need all of the space afforded in today's super-sized minivans from Chrysler, Honda and Toyota. The second variant on tap is a plug-in hybrid model.

The plug-in variant would ditch the concept Up!'s hatchback profile for a more traditional sedan configuration (which is more in tune with American buying tastes). According to Auto News and Autoblog, the plug-in hybrid Up! would achieve close to 100 MPG.

The Up! minivan is scheduled to be unveiled shortly in Tokyo while the Up! plug-in hybrid will bow in Los Angeles.



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

By mdogs444 on 10/3/2007 8:36:00 AM , Rating: 2
In the US, we already have a Fuel Efficiency Act - that car manufacturers have to pay a penalty on each car produced for not reaching the minimum requested average miles/gallon. Unfortnately, the EPA is about 15% off par when it comes to actually figuring out the efficiency.

Also, in the US - we pay "gas guzzler" taxes on cars that dont meet certain efficiency standards.

Our fuel costs are extremely tax based as well - and of all the taxes we pay, only 60% of the fuel taxes actually go to maintaining the roads - the other 40% go to "other unrelated items".

On your other note at the bottom - and not to completely change the political topic - parents should be allowed to drive their kids to school every day if they want. No one says that parents have to trust their kids riding in a school bus with no seatbelts driven by someone who they dont trust.

There are poor drivers - and much of that is because of the technology available today. Spending too much time on the radio, the navigation system, on the cell phone, etc. But there are still drivers who just plain suck. No idea how they passed a drivers exam in the first place.


"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." -- Bill Gates














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki