California Blocks Mandatory ID Implants in Employees
September 3, 2007 8:44 PM
comment(s) - last by
California's state Senate curbs a high-tech societal dilemma by making it illegal for employers to require ID chips implanted in their employees
Radio Frequency ID chip-maker
's slogan is "RFID for people." The company grabbed headlines in October 2004 when it gained
for its subdermal RFID implant. The RFID chip measured in at 12 mm by 2.1 mm and allowed implantees to be identified and tracked using broadcast radio identification.
The chips are marketed for everything from medical tracking and identification, to security applications.
Last year, the Cincinnati based video-surveillance firm
any employee that worked in its secure data center to get implanted with one of VeriChip's implants. Two of its employees received the implants.
Also, last year, blog
that Hackensack University Medical Center, in Hackensack, New Jersey nominated patients for a study on the usefulness of these implants. These potential implantees suffer from chronic conditions like heart disease, epilepsy and diabetes. Patients with these conditions will be placed a two-year program that will test "personal health record modules" inserted just beneath their skin.
Enormous controversy was generated by these moves, because the concept of employer required implants, or the possibility of involuntary medical implanting was seen by many as a dangerous high-tech invasion of privacy. Also, concerns of the security of these devices’s information were also raised, as RFID chips have been publically compromised.
In response to these concerns the state of Wisconsin recently
passed a bill
that banned anyone, including the employers and the government, from implanting RFID chips in anyone without consent.
that the California State Senate has passed a bill that goes one step farther, by banning employers from requiring employees to receive implants. Nine senators voted against the bill, including Bob Margett (R-Arcadia), who is quoted by the
as saying it was premature to regulate technology that has not yet proved to be a problem.
"It sounded like it was a solution looking for a problem, it didn't seem like it was necessary," Margett is quoted as saying.
An observation on both bills is that neither explicitly bans employers from asking their employees to voluntarily get implants. Neither bill bans employers from rewarding employees who get voluntarily implanted.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Impending Rapture?
9/5/2007 10:01:48 AM
Responding in like manner as I did in the previous post.
"Each and every one of those philosophers, doctors and lawyers also believed that the Earth was flat and that the Sun revolved around the Earth."
- That is a ridiculous generalization and completely untrue; none of them did, as evidenced by Isaiah 40:22 “It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:”
"Just because they were clever for their time, does not mean they word should be taken as the truth now."
- "Clever" is hardly the word I would use, nor is it remotely accurate in describing the intelligence and wisdom of the ancient world (remember the Pyramids?).
- "And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore. And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt. For he was wiser than all men;" I Kings 4:29-31a
- "And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom." I Kings 4:34
Rest assured the world tested Solomon’s wisdom then as the world tests the wisdom of the Bible now…
- "And when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon, she came to prove Solomon with hard questions at Jerusalem, with a very great company, and camels that bare spices, and gold in abundance, and precious stones: and when she was come to Solomon, she communed with him of all that was in her heart. And Solomon told her all her questions: and there was nothing hid from Solomon which he told her not. And when the queen of Sheba had seen the wisdom of Solomon, and the house that he had built," 2 Chronicles 9:1-3
- "And she said to the king, It was a true report which I heard in mine own land of thine acts, and of thy wisdom: Howbeit I believed not their words, until I came, and mine eyes had seen it: and, behold, the one half of the greatness of thy wisdom was not told me: for thou exceedest the fame that I heard." 2 Chronicles 5-6
- "And king Solomon passed all the kings of the earth in riches and wisdom. And all the kings of the earth sought the presence of Solomon, to hear his wisdom, that God had put in his heart." 2 Chronicles 22-23
"In any case, I dont see how you can disagree with Master Kenobi's post. Anyone who believes in the Bible says its a matter of faith. Is that correct?"
- Not at all, any student of the Word learns the Bible is first and foremost about a King and His Kingdom, a book of history without equal in its accuracy and historicity. Faith comes into play regarding Jesus (is he indeed who he claimed to be?). With that said, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is not a blind, ignorant belief, but rather an intelligent faith. Our hearts and minds were created to work in harmony together; never has an individual been called upon in the Scriptures to commit intellectual suicide in trusting Jesus as Savior and Lord.
"Because faith is subject to the individual and his/her beliefs, saying that Master Kenobi's beliefs regarding the Bible (however scientific they may be) are false is simply incorrect. They are only incorrect to you."
- Therein lies the problem with Master Kenobi’s post, there was no scientific support to his position whatsoever, it was speculative and conjecture at their best. Furthermore, simply believing something does not make it true or truth (this is the very meaning of delusion).
- The scientific method, however it is defined, is related to measurement of phenomena and experimentation or repeated observation. Now if the scientific method was the only method of proving something, you could not prove you had breakfast this morning. It is impossible to recreate that event in a controlled situation. The method used is that of “legal-historical” proof, which is based on demonstrating something is fact beyond a reasonable doubt. In other words, a verdict is reached on the basis of the weight of the evidence.
"To the other Atheists, and other like minded individuals, the Bible is as portrayed by Master Kenobi, and to be honest, we get tired of being attacked by Christians like yourself for not believing."
- “Tired of being attacked”? I would hardly describe my response to his post as an attack; as a matter of fact, it was not combative in any way, shape, or form.
"You can bet that Sony built a long-term business plan about being successful in Japan and that business plan is crumbling." -- Peter Moore, 24 hours before his Microsoft resignation
Google's Gleaming Glass HQ Gets Mountain View Snub, LinkedIn Gets the Love
May 7, 2015, 6:58 AM
Tech's Tax Day Fortunate Few: Qualcomm, Xerox, GE, et al. Pay Little or No Taxes
April 15, 2015, 11:30 AM
LinkNYC Terminals to Blanket New York City With Free WiFi, Free Calls, and Ads
November 17, 2014, 6:50 PM
Microsoft is Open-Sourcing Most of .NET, Adding OS X and Linux Support
November 12, 2014, 8:27 PM
Home Depot Lost 53 Million Emails, Blames Windows, Buys Execs New Macs
November 9, 2014, 5:00 PM
Former NSA Lawyer: If Google, Apple Encrypt User Data, They’ll Wither on the Vine Like Blackberry
November 6, 2014, 12:15 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information