backtop


Print 37 comment(s) - last by ElFenix.. on Jun 3 at 3:20 PM


The Xbox replacement cords issued in early 2005 were considerably beefier than the original cords, and emblazoned with multiple warning labels (Source: smorty71.com).
Bereaved parents blame Microsoft, Wal-Mart for a deadly house fire that claimed an infant's life

An Illinois lawsuit alleges that Microsoft and mega-retailer Wal-Mart are at fault for a fire sparked by a faulty Xbox 360 power cord. The suit was filed in December 2006 by the family of Wade Kline, a baby who perished in the accident.

The case came to light this week when Wal-Mart filed a motion to move the proceedings from a state court to a federal jurisdiction. Along with Microsoft and Wal-Mart, an unnamed power-supply maker is also named as a codefendant. The Kline family is seeking in excess of $50,000 in damages for the fire that destroyed their Warsaw, Ill., home.

The lawsuit alleges an overheated electrical supply line for an Xbox 360 sparked the blaze, according to an article in InformationWeek, however the suit claims the fire occurred in late 2004. The magazine concludes that the product involved must have been a first-generation Xbox (not Xbox 360) unit.

Microsoft recalled 14 million Xbox power cords because of potential fire hazards in February 2005, about two months after the Warsaw fire occurred.

In a statement released by Microsoft, the company expressed sympathy for the family, "However, we are not aware of any evidence that an Xbox caused the fire."



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

One correction
By samuraiBX on 5/25/2007 1:01:02 PM , Rating: 5
Hi guys, there's one correction that you need to make to the article.

"The suit was filed by Wade Kline's estate and seeks unspecified damages in excess of $50,000."

I'm not making judgements of how litigious people are, but a child really is priceless. Depending on how it hits you, I couldn't blame a parent for wanting only enough to cover their house or if they want to bankrupt the company responsible for the death of their child. Also, yes it's possible that the parents could have had some culpability, but that's assuming the child was left unsupervised. For all we know, the baby could have passed away from smoke inhalation from the fire. Let's not make any assumptions and just sympathize with the loss of a child.




"It seems as though my state-funded math degree has failed me. Let the lashings commence." -- DailyTech Editor-in-Chief Kristopher Kubicki














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki