Print 33 comment(s) - last by kalak.. on Apr 2 at 1:00 PM

Dell has confirmed that the company will be bringing Linux to future PCs and notebooks

Dell recently announced that it will expand support for Linux further than servers and the Precision workstation line.  The popular PC maker's first step will be to offer Linux pre-installed on both notebooks and desktops, Dell said in an online statement.

Dell asked for customer input in February on the company's IdeaStorm web site.  More than 100,000 responses were submitted to Dell, with more than 70 percent of respondents wanting some sort of pre-installed Linux product from Dell.

It may also take Dell a long time to get potential support issues sorted out before the Dell products enter the PC and workstation markets.  Linux users are now curious to see which version(s) of Linux will be installed on future products.  Users are more interested in kernel level and open driver support instead of particular Linux distributions, according to Dell.

Dell already has working relationships with Novell and Red Hat, both of which create popular Linux operating systems.  But other popular Linux alternatives include Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian and Lindows.

The company plans on asking for more user input regarding Linux and open source technologies.  Dell has had to rethink business plans due to increased competition with competitors such as Hewlett-Packard.

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: Should Microsoft worry?
By AGAC on 3/29/2007 5:32:52 PM , Rating: 2
I have two words for you, cochy: Third World or more politicaly correct: Developping countries. Cheap Dell boxes sells very well in third world countries because they're cheap machines tailored to cheap people/business. Now, if Dell can shave a few dollars by going the Linux way, than the grey market that thrives on pirated Windows copies will shrink substantialy.

RE: Should Microsoft worry?
By appu on 3/29/2007 6:39:10 PM , Rating: 3
I assure you, coming from a third-world country myself, that people will buy Linux-loaded Dells for cheap, promptly erase the contents of the HDD and install Windows using a pirated copy. This way, they get the cost benefit *and* the comfort zone, and that really gets my goat at more than one level :(.

RE: Should Microsoft worry?
By smitty3268 on 3/29/2007 6:44:56 PM , Rating: 2
Studies from Brazil, which sells a lot of preloaded KDE Linux computers, show that 20% kept Linux and the other 80% loaded pirated windows. That's both good and bad - only a 20% retention rate doesn't sound very good, but on the other hand that's 20% of a lot of computers. Given the low rates of Linux usage, it adds up to quite a bit.

"Google fired a shot heard 'round the world, and now a second American company has answered the call to defend the rights of the Chinese people." -- Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-N.J.)
Related Articles

Most Popular Articles5 Cases for iPhone 7 and 7 iPhone Plus
September 18, 2016, 10:08 AM
Automaker Porsche may expand range of Panamera Coupe design.
September 18, 2016, 11:00 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM
No More Turtlenecks - Try Snakables
September 19, 2016, 7:44 AM
ADHD Diagnosis and Treatment in Children: Problem or Paranoia?
September 19, 2016, 5:30 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki