Detailed Images of VIA's EPIA PX Revealed
Anh Tuan Huynh
January 28, 2007 1:55 AM
comment(s) - last by
Image courtesy of EPIACENTER
"EPIACENTER" has three close-up images of the upcoming EPIA PX pico-ITX motherboard
has managed to
snap close-up images
of VIA’s upcoming EPIA PX motherboard. The EPIA PX sports a new pico-ITX form-factor that measures in at 3.9 x 2.8 inches. This is approximately half the size of VIA’s uber small nano-ITX form-factor. VIA initially demonstrated the EPIA PX at its yearly Lunch@Piero’s event held during the Consumer Electronics Show.
In its early stages a VIA C7 processor clocked at 1 GHz powers the EPIA PX.
is unsure which chipset the EPIA PX contains but believes it is either the VX700 or CX700M.
predicts the EPIA PX features the previously released UMPC oriented
due to the sheer size of the board.
Due to the small footprint of the EPIA PX the board features very limited connectivity options. The EPIA PX features a single VGA and LAN port as far as external connectivity goes. There are plenty of internal headers and connectors, though
does not mention what the headers are for.
AMD recently announced its plans to pursue development of
the DTX form factor
. DTX is considerably larger than pico-ITX, though all formats are essentially derivatives of ATX.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
1/28/2007 8:52:03 AM
It's nice to see gold plating, thought on a larger low profile 'sink, no electrolytic capacitors
Features I wish it had -
- Barrel jack <=12V input, step down regulator onboard for the remaining voltages
- One or two USB ports
- Heatsink mounting much closer to the CPU, at least one stud would increase board rigidity and potentially improve interface with the flipchips
- Component placement changed such that snap-on modules (USB, SD reader or CF reader and CF-ATA interface slot) would provide that on the same side as video and lan. I mean low height modules that fit within the perimeter of the board, there looks to be a USB header that won't satisfy that latter factor.
- Larger keep-out zone around board edges
- Video socket on same vertical plane as lan socket
- Something done about the power socket so it doesn't require so much more clearnance for the power cord and plug. As it stands it may increase the space requirement in height by roughly 50% unless there is a very proprietary/custom inverted power board made to fit this, but with it inverted there may be cooling issues.
- Same issue different day, I'm not crazy about Via silicon, but if they can get the price down low enough that might redeem it for some uses.
RE: Random Observations
2/2/2007 3:37:23 PM
I'm guessing that this board was designed to work within an enclosure that will have all the necessary ports built-in, run from the headers.
Excellent way to save space, nice and clean.
"It seems as though my state-funded math degree has failed me. Let the lashings commence." -- DailyTech Editor-in-Chief Kristopher Kubicki
AMD Announces Development of DTX Form Factor
January 10, 2007, 12:00 AM
VIA Announces VX700 Chipset
July 6, 2006, 9:53 PM
SanDisk Unveils Pricey iXpand USB 2.0/Lightning Drive to Expand iPhone, iPad Storage
November 13, 2014, 2:29 PM
HP's 15.6" Omen Gaming Laptop is Incredibly Thin, Powerful
November 4, 2014, 10:34 AM
Tim Cook Touts Apple’s Product Portfolio, Performance in Letter to Employees
October 21, 2014, 8:05 AM
Lenovo Once Again The Top Global PC Maker, Apple Takes 50% of PC Profits
October 9, 2014, 7:46 AM
It’s Official: HP to Split Into Two Business Units
October 6, 2014, 8:14 AM
Quick Note: HP Plans to Split PC, Enterprise Units
October 5, 2014, 4:31 PM
Most Popular Articles
Miyamoto: Nintendo is Prepping Successor to Troubled Wii U
December 22, 2014, 6:28 PM
Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Drops to $299 (30 Percent Off) for a Day
December 22, 2014, 10:57 AM
Android-Powered BLU Studio 7.0 Claims to be the "World's Largest Smartphone"
December 19, 2014, 2:40 PM
Airbus A350 XWB Passenger Jet Takes Off, First Unit Delivered to Qatar Airlines
December 22, 2014, 1:22 PM
Mississippi AG Drops Anti-Google Subpoena After Dirty MPAA Ties Are Revealed
December 22, 2014, 9:51 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information