backtop


Print 106 comment(s) - last by rcc.. on Dec 21 at 5:42 PM

Nintendo must have seen this coming

As was bound to happen, law firm Green Welling LLP filed a nationwide class action lawsuit on behalf of the owners of the Nintendo Wii against Nintendo of America. The class action lawsuit contends that the Nintendo Wii is defective in nature due to the wrist strap for the remote.

The statement from the firm says that Nintendo is in the wrong as owners of the Nintendo Wii who supposedly followed the material that accompanied the Wii console experienced broken wrist strap causing the remote to leave the user’s hand. The lawsuit seeks an injunction that requires Nintendo to correct the defect and to provide a refund to the purchaser or to replace the defective Wii remote.

“Nintendo’s failure to include a remote that is free from defects is in breach of Nintendo’s own product warranty,” the statement reads. “The class action lawsuit seeks to enjoin Nintendo from continuing its unfair or deceptive business practices as it relates to the Nintendo Wii.”

The class action lawsuit now awaits approval from a judge. Nintendo has already responded to wrist strap worries with stronger materials and safety reminders. Last week Nintendo started offering free wrist strap replacements for all Nintendo Wii owners, allowing its users to upgrade to the safer and hopefully less accident-prone equipment.



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer
By cornfedone on 12/20/2006 9:03:18 AM , Rating: -1
The scum of the earth, siren chasing, sleaze bag garbage out to profit from consumers incompetence, not a defective product.




RE: The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer
By Homerboy on 12/20/2006 9:09:24 AM , Rating: 2
yes ALL lawyers are evil and scum
Nice gross generalization.


RE: The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer
By jtesoro on 12/20/2006 11:30:46 AM , Rating: 3
Yeah, we shouldn't generalize. It's the 99% of the lawyers that give the other 1% a bad name :)


By codeThug on 12/20/2006 4:58:25 PM , Rating: 2
heh heh heh...


RE: The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer
By jskirwin on 12/20/2006 9:25:25 AM , Rating: 2
quote:
The scum of the earth...


Everybody hates lawyers - until they need one.

The problem with stupid lawsuits is that the barrier to filing one is too low. However the challenge is raising the barrier to prevent frivilous lawsuits while at the same time allowing keeping it low enough to allow poor people who have been injured to file them.





RE: The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer
By masher2 (blog) on 12/20/2006 9:38:40 AM , Rating: 3
> "However the challenge is raising the barrier to prevent frivilous lawsuits while at the same time allowing keeping it low enough to allow poor people who have been injured to file them..."

The solution is simple. Keep the filiing barrier low, but require the plaintiff to pay defendant's legal fees if he loses the case. This shuts down the entire tortsploitation industry in one blow.

The problem, though, is that tort lawyers are one of the heaviest contributors to political campaigns.


RE: The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer
By Zirconium on 12/20/2006 10:06:00 AM , Rating: 2
The other problem is that if you throw enough money at it, you can win almost any case. If the loser-pays scenario was in effect, then companies would just throw a crapload of money to defend themselves and bankrupt the plaintiffs, even in situations where the lawsuit was just.


RE: The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer
By djcameron on 12/20/2006 10:14:48 AM , Rating: 1
Even when I need them , I still hate them.

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. - William Shakespeare


By codeThug on 12/20/2006 5:03:58 PM , Rating: 2
Come on. You're being a bit irrational here.

Couldn't we at least torture them a bit prior?


By encryptkeeper on 12/20/2006 10:47:12 AM , Rating: 2
Everybody hates lawyers - until they need one.

I like that one.
It's the PUBLIC that goes after cases like this. It's become a cultural norm to sue. Fuck the public.


By BladeVenom on 12/20/2006 12:47:41 PM , Rating: 2
quote:
Everybody hates lawyers - until they need one.

You only need one, because the other side has one. That's why we need to get rid of them all.


"Vista runs on Atom ... It's just no one uses it". -- Intel CEO Paul Otellini














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki