Print 21 comment(s) - last by nah.. on Dec 16 at 12:10 AM

Up to 40-percent in some cases

During AMD's Analyst Day today, the company announced several news bits concerning its LIVE! initiative. One of the highlights day was AMD's announcement that it's LIVE! platform was doing much better than Intel's Viiv, at least in retail sales. According to figures obtained from retailers nationwide, AMD LIVE! computers were outperforming Viiv PCs anywhere from 5-percent to 40-percent in the most recent week of December.

This figure does not include information from direct-to-customer sales, such as that from Dell, which arguably constitutes a major portion of Intel Viiv sales.  The data also was only polled from U.S. vendors and did not take into account Viiv or LIVE! sales in HTPC hot-spots like Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

The platform has seen a huge push by AMD in the last quarter of 2006, especially after the company completed the purchase of ATI Technologies. One of the key aspects of LIVE! was to integrate all major components together. For Intel, this was easy as it has been developing both processors and chipsets for years for various markets. With AMD and ATI now one, AMD is definitely taking advantage of ATI's chipset portfolio and expertise.

AMD's strategy with LIVE! going forward addresses a few key areas for the company:
  • Leveraging chipset designs (ATI)
  • Reinforce AMD as the "smarter choice"
  • Market LIVE! as a better media experience
  • Associate strongly with Microsoft's Vista
  • Invest more into digital-home solutions and products
  • Develop more partnerships with HD content providers
Analysts are seeing that AMD is leading the trend for home-theater focused computers. The company has strong partnerships and just recently announced its QuadFX platform. Besides LIVE!, AMD is doing well in other areas of its business as well. According to its financial reports, AMD's market share is doubling year after year.

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

AMD doing well?
By qwerty1 on 12/14/2006 6:39:29 PM , Rating: 2
Good to see the figures, but considering that the chart only shows 70% of the market, how does the other 30% look like? Also, the Dec figures should be taken with a grain of salt as it still has many days to go before the results become concrete. If you eliminate the Dec figures, it looks like Viiv and Live! are still competing toe to toe with each other. Only time will tell if Live! becomes the true winner.

RE: AMD doing well?
By swatX on 12/14/2006 6:42:21 PM , Rating: 2
sorry but this slideshow is branded as AMD! its simillar to ATI comparing its vid cards with NV and showing the skewed results in its own slide show.

Where are the official figures that includes every manufac that supply amd live! and intel viiv

RE: AMD doing well?
By JackPack on 12/14/2006 6:53:36 PM , Rating: 2
The other 30% is essentially Dell, which is almost purely ViiV.

RE: AMD doing well?
By Xajel on 12/14/2006 10:51:16 PM , Rating: 2
AFAIK, Dell never introduced VIIV, but they do introduced Live !

I saw this some where in the last month or two in Anand, Xbit, Tomshardware, The Inquirer

RE: AMD doing well?
By JackPack on 12/15/2006 12:05:34 AM , Rating: 2
AFAIK, Dell never introduced VIIV, but they do introduced Live !

That would be like Dell not introducing Centrino. Check the Dell site again. Most of their Dimension and XPS systems can be ViiV.

"We shipped it on Saturday. Then on Sunday, we rested." -- Steve Jobs on the iPad launch
Related Articles
AMD Announces Quad FX Platform
November 29, 2006, 9:10 PM

Most Popular ArticlesAre you ready for this ? HyperDrive Aircraft
September 24, 2016, 9:29 AM
Leaked – Samsung S8 is a Dream and a Dream 2
September 25, 2016, 8:00 AM
Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs
September 25, 2016, 9:00 AM
Snapchat’s New Sunglasses are a Spectacle – No Pun Intended
September 24, 2016, 9:02 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki