Print 46 comment(s) - last by DkFFIV.. on Dec 3 at 3:18 AM

90% of new Windows consumer client installations to be Vista Home-based in 2007

Microsoft has lofty ambitions for its next generation Windows Vista operating system as witnessed by statements made by the company in early October. Today, IDC issued some new projections for Windows Vista including the notion that over 90 million units of the operating system will ship in 2007 worldwide. That figure far outpaces Microsoft's assessment of 67 million units in the first year of availability for Windows XP.

"After a long wait, the adoption of Windows Vista will take place almost immediately among consumers, while businesses will follow a decidedly more conservative adoption curve," says Al Gillen, research VP of System Software at IDC.

On the consumer side, Vista Home Basic is expected to garner 67% of Vista purchases while Vista Home Premium will account for 30%. The enthusiast-oriented Vista Ultimate will account for 2% of the product mix with just 1% of consumers choosing Vista Business for use in home deployments.

For businesses, Vista Business will account for 82% of Vista deployments while Vista Enterprise will capture the remaining 18%.

Overall, IDC projects that 90% of new Windows client installations for home users will be comprised of Vista Home Basic/Vista Home Premium during the first year. On the business side, Vista Business/Vista Enterprise will account for just 35% of new client installations during the first year – that number rises to 80% during the second year of availability.

But while consumers buying new PCs will pretty much be forced into using Windows Vista after the start of the year, businesses are likely to be a bit more discriminating. Businesses typically wait until at least the first service pack for a new Windows operating system is released before they do any large roll-outs throughout the company.

Gartner suggests that companies should spend as much as 18 months testing a new operating system before moving to large-scale deployments. With Vista being launched for businesses tomorrow, now is the time to begin the testing phase (if companies haven't already done so with earlier versions of Vista). "If companies do decide to upgrade the biggest barrier will be application compatibility - 80 per cent of your applications will work and 20 per cent won't work. The vast majority of customers we speak to are looking at 2008 to upgrade but they need to start planning now," said Frank Foxall of Windows migration specialist Camwood.

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

In Other News...
By ninjit on 11/29/2006 10:55:09 PM , Rating: 5
Analysts from BS Solutions inc. say that 70% of all the analysis their industry does is just stating the obvious.
The remaining 30% being pulled out of their collective asses the night after a big press release, just so that they can get their 2 cents in

Seriously though, nothing I read above about Vista seems like news to me.

Are Analysts one of those jobs the world could really do without? Can someone explain the need for them to me? I honestly don't know.

RE: In Other News...
By Rayz on 11/30/2006 3:43:05 AM , Rating: 3

Hard not to be a success when your product is the default installation on just about every PC sold.

... :-|

RE: In Other News...
By msva124 on 11/30/2006 7:15:25 PM , Rating: 2
Honestly I don't even think it is a real job. Otherwise it would be the only job in the world where you can be wrong all the time without being fired.

Analyst is probably just a generic term for anyone who wants to get their name in the news and has the slightest relation to the industry in question.

RE: In Other News...
By msva124 on 11/30/2006 7:23:15 PM , Rating: 2
Actually I was wrong. These places really do exist.

Basically they don't get fired for being wrong all the time because it doesn't matter if they're wrong. Their purpose is to provide authoritative sounding articles to journalists, not to make accurate predictions.

"I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For [Paramount] to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks!" -- Movie Director Michael Bay
Related Articles
Windows Vista Goes Gold
November 8, 2006, 2:00 PM

Most Popular Articles5 Cases for iPhone 7 and 7 iPhone Plus
September 18, 2016, 10:08 AM
Laptop or Tablet - Which Do You Prefer?
September 20, 2016, 6:32 AM
Update: Samsung Exchange Program Now in Progress
September 20, 2016, 5:30 AM
Smartphone Screen Protectors – What To Look For
September 21, 2016, 9:33 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki