Print 27 comment(s) - last by SakuraChan.. on Sep 6 at 12:47 PM

Gigabyte and ASUS shake on the deal - Image courtesy HKEPC
Asustek and Gigabyte have just agreed to a major combined arms strategy

So it's not as big of news as the recent AMD and ATI merger, but cross-town Taipei rivals Asustek and Gigabyte have just announced a major joint venture between the two companies.  The new joint venture will effectively let Gigabyte use Asustek facilities for manufacturing of "Gigabyte" branded video cards and motherboards. 

Gigabyte will own a 51% stake in the company, with Asustek picking up the other 49%.  HKEPC (English) reports the deal is valued at approximately $244M USD, and that the new joint venture will become official January 1, 2007.  Neither company would comment on the effect of the joint venture on existing manufacturing, claiming that only the legal proceedings to start the company have been publically announced at this time.  The joint venture will also get a new name, but both companies are also tight lipped about that as well.

Analysts are already heralding the venture as a major milestone for the PC industry.  Occasional DailyTech blogger and T-Break Editor-In-Chief Abbas Jaffar Ali claimed "By combining the manufacturing capability of ASUS with the channel presence of Gigabyte, the two companies will be able to put tremendous pressure on the other Taiwan manufactures, especially Foxconn."  Peter du Preez, Universal Abit Marketing Manager, added "It all started way back when ULi and NVIDIA joined -- since then, well, it's been all about grabbing a buddy."

ASUS and Gigabyte have traditionally held the title of tier-1 motherboard manufacturers in Taiwan.  This title was also shared by Microstar International -- also a major player in motherboard, VGA and server manufacturing.  However, as PC component manufacturing began to move to mainland China, Foxconn and ECS-Tatung have risen to become the dominant component manufacturers. 

ASUS has strong manufacturing ties with Sony (Playstation 3), Apple (MacBook).  The company has also attempted to enter into the retail market with its own lineup of notebooks and digital audio players, with mixed success.  Earlier this year ASUS stated that the company would split its OEM and retail manufacturing by 2008, in an effort to give the manufacturing half of the company more room to compete with the "Big Four."

That's not to say ASUS and Gigabyte have idle competition.  ECS, currently the largest motherboard manufacturer in the world by volume, just sealed a deal to acquire Uniwill, making the new company even more massive than it was before.

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: Good for Gigabyte
By AggressorPrime on 8/8/2006 11:06:20 AM , Rating: 2
MSI makes bad boards anyway. I just hope these boards mix the OCing ability and reliability of Asus with the high power phase and futureproof of Gigabyte. We might end up seeing a Republic of Gamers motherboard with 12 phase power cooling and Kentsfield ready that might rival what DFI has to offer. That is a maybe...

RE: Good for Gigabyte
By Korvon on 8/8/2006 6:18:53 PM , Rating: 2
Not sure where you are getting this info from. Been using MIS for a few years in our tech shop, have had the lowest RMA rates out of any others we get in. Gigabyte is amonge the worst, we have dubbed them gigashyte. As for ASUS, flaky at best.

RE: Good for Gigabyte
By Korvon on 8/8/2006 8:17:23 PM , Rating: 2
Pardon the typos.

RE: Good for Gigabyte
By agent2099 on 8/8/2006 11:01:02 PM , Rating: 2
I have to disagree. At least in the mATX arena, the MSI K8NGM2 has made me a believer. After going through ASUS and Gigabyte s939 boards, the MSI turned out be a clear winner, providing better stability and more features than both ASUS and Gigabyte.

"This is about the Internet.  Everything on the Internet is encrypted. This is not a BlackBerry-only issue. If they can't deal with the Internet, they should shut it off." -- RIM co-CEO Michael Lazaridis
Related Articles

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki