ASUS and Gigabyte Form New Joint Venture
August 8, 2006 7:31 AM
comment(s) - last by
Gigabyte and ASUS shake on the deal - Image courtesy HKEPC
Asustek and Gigabyte have just agreed to a major combined arms strategy
So it's not as big of news as the recent
AMD and ATI merger
, but cross-town Taipei rivals Asustek and Gigabyte have just announced a major joint venture between the two companies. The new joint venture will effectively let Gigabyte use Asustek facilities for manufacturing of "Gigabyte" branded video cards and motherboards.
Gigabyte will own a 51% stake in the company, with Asustek picking up the other 49%.
) reports the deal is valued at approximately $244M USD, and that the new joint venture will become official January 1, 2007. Neither company would comment on the effect of the joint venture on existing manufacturing, claiming that only the legal proceedings to start the company have been publically announced at this time. The joint venture will also get a new name, but both companies are also tight lipped about that as well.
Analysts are already heralding the venture as a major milestone for the PC industry. Occasional
T-Break Editor-In-Chief Abbas Jaffar Ali claimed
"By combining the manufacturing capability of ASUS with the channel presence of Gigabyte, the two companies will be able to put tremendous pressure on the other Taiwan manufactures, especially Foxconn." Peter du Preez, Universal Abit Marketing Manager, added "It all started way back when ULi and NVIDIA joined -- since then, well, it's been all about grabbing a buddy."
ASUS and Gigabyte have traditionally held the title of tier-1 motherboard manufacturers in Taiwan. This title was also shared by Microstar International -- also a major player in motherboard, VGA and server manufacturing. However, as PC component manufacturing began to move to mainland China, Foxconn and ECS-Tatung have risen to become the dominant component manufacturers.
ASUS has strong manufacturing ties with Sony (Playstation 3), Apple (MacBook). The company has also attempted to enter into the retail market with its own lineup of notebooks and digital audio players, with mixed success. Earlier this year ASUS stated that the company would split its OEM and retail manufacturing by
an effort to give the manufacturing half of the company more room to compete with the "
That's not to say ASUS and Gigabyte have idle competition. ECS, currently the largest motherboard manufacturer in the world by volume,
just sealed a deal to acquire Uniwill
, making the new company even more massive than it was before.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Bad news for consumers too !
8/8/2006 9:39:34 AM
How did you come to form this opinion of Asus exactly?
"So, I think the same thing of the music industry. They can't say that they're losing money, you know what I'm saying. They just probably don't have the same surplus that they had." -- Wu-Tang Clan founder RZA
Elitegroup-Uniwill Acquisition Finalized
August 1, 2006, 6:22 PM
AMD-ATI: A Done Deal
July 24, 2006, 5:00 AM
Four Taiwanese Manufacturers Control Majority of Notebook Market
June 19, 2006, 11:09 AM
Google's Gleaming Glass HQ Gets Mountain View Snub, LinkedIn Gets the Love
May 7, 2015, 6:58 AM
Tech's Tax Day Fortunate Few: Qualcomm, Xerox, GE, et al. Pay Little or No Taxes
April 15, 2015, 11:30 AM
LinkNYC Terminals to Blanket New York City With Free WiFi, Free Calls, and Ads
November 17, 2014, 6:50 PM
Microsoft is Open-Sourcing Most of .NET, Adding OS X and Linux Support
November 12, 2014, 8:27 PM
Home Depot Lost 53 Million Emails, Blames Windows, Buys Execs New Macs
November 9, 2014, 5:00 PM
Former NSA Lawyer: If Google, Apple Encrypt User Data, They’ll Wither on the Vine Like Blackberry
November 6, 2014, 12:15 PM
Most Popular Articles
As iPad Sales Wane and Watch Flops, iPhone Saves Apple's Profit With Its Heroics
July 22, 2015, 6:13 PM
Editorial: Reddit Allows Itself to be Hijacked as a Hate Platform For Racist Bigots
July 21, 2015, 6:32 PM
Microsoft July 29 Windows 10 Launch: Freebies, Rollout, and What's Next
July 21, 2015, 2:40 PM
Mozilla and Facebook to Adobe: It's Time to Kill Flash
July 20, 2015, 6:30 PM
Google Scores Bizarre Court Win as Disgruntled Android Users' Lawyers Ruin Case
July 16, 2015, 5:58 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2015 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information