quote: Greatly undercuting the prices almost to the point where you make no profit is acceptable with competition : you drive competition. When you're in a monopolistic situation, it is not : you're killing it.
quote: The point is, proprietary formats are not disturbing when there's competition going on, but when it's monopolistic, it's driving any competition out of the market even before they get in.
quote: You know what I meant... when an OS accounts for 90%+ of the market, and something like 10 alternatives take up the remaining 10%
quote: Plus, the OS you name are nowhere near ready to be launched for Mr. Joe Schmoe (except the Apple ones, but they are... let's say exceptions).
quote: .NET is a proprietary programming platform. It will only works on Windows with the .NET framework installed.
quote: It doesn't really matter, though, since (almost) everyone is using Windows. The side effect of this? Since everyone has Windows, the programmers of this world are switching to .NET to use the latest technologies because the disadvantage of only running on Windows is minimal.
quote: Therefore, any other OS trying to get in won't meet success with anyone having a .NET software it just can't dump. In effect, it is killing competition since it's a monopoly.