Mazda Expects 30 Percent Enhanced Fuel Economy with Skyactiv 2 Engines Come 2020
January 6, 2014 12:48 PM
comment(s) - last by
Mazda is already discussing Skyactiv 3 as well
Mazda only recently started introducing its
to its different vehicle models, but the automaker is already talking about the upcoming Skyactiv 2 -- and even Skyactiv 3 -- engines for the next decade and beyond.
According to a new report from
, Mazda plans to gain 30 percent better fuel economy with its Skyactiv 2 engines, which are expected to have a 2020 release date. A 30 percent improvement in fuel economy would make the already impressive Mazda3 rise from 29/41 mpg (city/highway) in its more efficient trim to 38/53 on regular unleased gasoline.
plans to achieve this 30 percent increase in fuel economy by improving the internal combustion of the Skyactiv 2 engines. More specifically, the Skyactiv 2 engine's compression ratio would be bumped up to 18:1 from a current level of 14:1.
This higher compression is able to reach the same combustion temperature as the current engines, but with a leaner mix of fuel -- meaning improved fuel economy.
The Skyactiv 2 engines will utilize homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI), which compresses the fuel-air mixture to a high enough pressure and temperature that it ignites by itself without needing a spark. This allows for more complete fuel combustion and lower nitrogen oxide emissions.
report indicates that HCCI won't come easy. Engineers must first expand the range of engine speeds for HCCI specifically, because the engine revving too quickly can result in a misfire due to the high number of revolutions, and if revved too slowly, it can misfire due to low temperatures.
2.0-liter Skyactiv four-cylinder engine
Aside from that, engine cooling and the engine's tendency to behave differently based on the use of different fuels need to be figured out.
The main goal with Skyactiv 2 is to meet European
carbon dioxide emissions
standards of 95 grams per kilometer in 2020, but Mazda is looking even further ahead at meeting Europe's standards of 65 grams per kilometer in 2025 with Skyactiv 3.
Mazda didn't go into great detail about Skyactiv 3, but the automaker plans to make more energy available for powering the wheels by limiting the fluctuation of heat in the combustion chamber and reduce losses from exhaust and cooling. Mazda hopes to reach well-to-wheel carbon dioxide emissions with Skyactiv 3 that rival electric vehicles.
Mazda first introduced Skyactiv engines to the U.S. market in 2011, starting with the Mazda3 sedan. Since then, they've been added to the Mazda6 sedan and CX-5 crossover.
Mazda has been trying to bring the Skyactiv-D diesel engine to the U.S. via the Mazda6, and was supposed to have achieved this by the second half of 2013. However, in September of last year, it was announced that
delays in emissions testing
has pushed that timetable to late spring of 2014.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
1/7/2014 1:27:43 PM
you may want think twice before coming up with bogus reasons to pick between AT and MT (and learn to count pass 4).
1. MT is more robust - guess this is why all military vehicle have AT. The reason more simple - AT does not require almost any skill from the operator, truck operators are expected to know what they were doing (and expenses associated with AT do add up, but since all stick drivers are 5) Idiots we'll skip this reason for now). Also it's the controls/hydraulics and not gear part that tends to fail (for MT once the "controller" failed he/she has no longer need for the rest of the system).
2) Poor people (I guess you are the 1%, good for you) should buy your used "pandora box" over affordable new vehicle with MT (and affordable choices are diminishing as marketers convinced public that more is better). I'll bet that all current new fancy AT vehicle will be next to impossible to keep pass 100k (maybe 150k) miles. Once you have to do dreaded AT overhaul (=replacement) or even swap dual-clutch (1500$ - omg, compare this to 400$ for old school clutch that you can actually do yourself if you want to go really cheap). Probably, some of these new AT tech can't be done outside of dealers network (again no cheap option)- tough luck, unless you were 5) Idiot who bought into a vehicle with MT.
3) Statistically, with AT vehicle dominating sales also the racers you encounter drive the AT (after all they know no better, never learned to drive stick, car salesman have no problems convincing them to get AT and big rims, and "great" financing offer they get seals the deal). Again, while 5) Idiots with MT can attempt the same it's just as likely that they went with MT to keep TCO of their vehicle purchase low and not to race (cause they are 2) Poor anyway).
4) Real race car drivers - well, I have to admit that new AT can shift faster and will outperform human with MT on the race track and this is what's used out there. On the public roads I'll take MT any day as I don't have a need for launch control, extra HPs and all the "premium" BS packaged simply to justify final price of the expensive car (and keep you tied to dealer's service shop later)). Once you considered all cars are made to be basically consumables that have to be replaced after certain mileage you'll realize that "sticking" with MT gives you the only opportunity to get pass this design goal of manufactures.
5) Idiots - not sure that either MT or AT is sufficient to qualify you as one but from strictly financial point of view - well you know where it all adds up to.
You can call me/us masochist but once I'm in a car (MT or AT as I have both) all I know is that MT actually does what I need or want and AT - well, it's like POS camera - you can only hope it did it. I do not consider it hard work to operate MT (it takes fraction of second to shift) and after all I'm not supposed to pay attention to stuff beyond controlling the vehicle (we can agree that this is for 5) Idiots). Needles to say, I would not take a long trip in a used vehicle with AT as pushing to a service station in the middle of nowhere is far beyond the level of masochism that normal MT driver would accept.
And I'll keep the money I spared by going with MT for better things than moving myself from A to B. And with average person no longer being able to operate MT my car stays off the menu of casual thieves (commonly 3) Immature young adults and 5) Idiots).
“And I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it’s superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say?” -- Bill Gates on the Mac ads
Emissions Testing Delays Mazda's U.S. Diesel Engine Launch Until Late Spring '14
September 13, 2013, 9:54 AM
Mazda to Bring Diesel Engine to U.S. by '14
January 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
Study Predicts Self-Driving Vehicles Could Rake in Billions
March 6, 2015, 8:34 AM
Dual-Motor Tesla Model S P85D's "Insane Mode" Shocks Passengers
January 28, 2015, 11:18 PM
2016 Cadillac CTS-V Packs 640 hp Punch with 200 mph Reach
January 23, 2015, 3:25 PM
BMW Testing Tech to Allow Users to Auto-Park, Summon Cars Via Smartwatch
December 16, 2014, 9:30 AM
Lamborghini Offers Up $6,000 Leather-Bound Android Smartphone
December 12, 2014, 3:12 PM
Quick Note: GM Teases Next Generation Chevrolet Volt
November 20, 2014, 3:26 PM
Most Popular Articles
Raytheon $1.9 Billion Purchase of Websense Raises Tough Questions
April 20, 2015, 1:57 PM
HBO to VPN HBO Now Users: Prove You Live in U.S. or We Will Terminate You
April 21, 2015, 12:17 PM
AMD CEO: Windows 10 Will Launch at "The End of July"
April 20, 2015, 7:24 PM
Quick Note: Lady Macbath -- One Japanese Woman's Apple Themed Revenge
April 23, 2015, 11:47 AM
After Record-Setting Week, Samsung Predicts 70 Million GS6/GS6 Edge Sales
April 17, 2015, 8:39 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2015 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information