backtop


Print 69 comment(s) - last by a5cent.. on Nov 6 at 11:31 AM

New 8 inch tablet prototype also leaks

Hot on the heels of the announcement of the 10.1-inch Lumia 2520 Windows RT 8.1 tablet and the 6-inch Lumia 1520/1320 phablets -- plus some slick accessories like the "Treasure Tag" -- at Nokia World, more fresh devices are leaking from the Nokia Devices brand.

I. Lumia 929 Set to Rock Verizon

First up is the Lumia 929.  The Lumia 929 will be an iterative bump to Nokia's line to keep up with Jones, i.e. the Android OEMs who are flocking to the quad-core Snapdragon 800, which is becoming available at last from Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM).

Under Microsoft's guidance, Nokia is moving to a more aggressive device rollout schedule, and the Lumia 929 is proof of that.

The device is set to go on sale at Verizon Communications Inc.'s (VZ) Verizon Wireless brand -- the largest LTE carrier in the U.S. -- and is also rumored to be an exclusive (for the holidays at least).  The phone runs Windows Phone 8 Update 3, the last major update to arrive before Windows Phone 8.1.

Lumia 929
  • Price :
    • ??
  • Form Factor
  • Size:   ??
  • Weight: ??
  • Colors
    • glossy white
    • matte black
  • Screen
    • 5.0 inches
    • 1080p (1920x1080 pixel)
    • 440 ppi
    • AMOLED
    • Gorilla Glass 3
  • SoC
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
      • 2.26 GHz quad-core ARM Krait 400 CPU
      • Adreno 330 GPU
  • RAM:
    • 2 GB DRAM
  • Battery
    • ??
  • Storage
    • Internal
    • 32 GB
    • No microSD
  • Camera(s)
    • Rear
      • 20MP (with PureView optical stabilization)
    • Front
      • 1.3MP
  • Connectivity
    • LTE
    • Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    • Bluetooth v4.0
    • NFC
  • Other
    • Qi charging

Another leak -- from top Nokia leaker @ev-leaks on Twitter -- revealed an upcoming 8-inch Windows RT tablet from the Nokia Devices brand. 
The tablet is rumored to be in the testing phase under the codename "Illusionist" and will be only Nokia's second large-size tablet computer following the 10-inch Lumia 2520.  If the Lumia 2520 is any clue, the 8-inch Lumia device may pack higher end hardware and a slightly higher sticker price than possible 7-to-8-inch Microsoft Surface branded devices.

The Verge has offered direct confirmation from Nokia Devices that the 8-incher is indeed real.  They add that it will pack a Qualcomm chip (likely the Snapdragon 800).  The small tablet is reportedly due out later next year along with budget Lumia 1310.

Sources: WPCentral, EV Leaks, The Verge



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: MicroSD
By ritualm on 11/5/2013 12:19:35 AM , Rating: 3
I have anywhere between 30-40GB in music alone, and I'd rather not be forced to play the same songs everyday because there is no provision for expandable storage. The cloud? My plan only has 500MB data per month.


RE: MicroSD
By Close04 on 11/5/2013 5:56:36 AM , Rating: 3
You'd end up with a situation where 95% of consumers would pay extra for features that only the other 5% would want or need.

30-40GB of music for the road is a lot more than most normal user would need. I'd rather reshuffle my playlist every week or so than pay $100 more for another 64GB of internal storage.


RE: MicroSD
By Helbore on 11/5/2013 6:26:33 AM , Rating: 3
Which is why expandable storage is so great. If you need more storage, you buy a microSD card and add it. If you don't need it, you don't have to pay for a card. Everyone's happy.


RE: MicroSD
By EasyC on 11/5/2013 8:53:59 AM , Rating: 2
Not the manufacturers who would get to charge you 100$ for 5$ in parts.

It's a win for them NOT to include SD. Hey we can charge 200$ more for the same hardware and it only costs us 10$ extra to produce? Win!


RE: MicroSD
By jRaskell on 11/5/2013 8:01:11 AM , Rating: 2
Even with a high quality audio format that consumed upwards of 2 megabytes a minute of disk space, you could still easily carry an entire year's worth of music on the phone itself. Forced to play the same songs every day... exaggerate much?


RE: MicroSD
By Da W on 11/5/2013 8:14:13 AM , Rating: 2
Lol, with 40GB of music YOU WILL NOT play the same song every day.

I have 90GB, you know what? i choose and make playlists!


RE: MicroSD
By GulWestfale on 11/5/2013 5:03:20 PM , Rating: 2
quote:
The cloud? My plan only has 500MB data per month.

you could ask the NSA if your next door neighbor uses all his cloud space, and then maybe ask them nicely to let you use some of his.


"It's okay. The scenarios aren't that clear. But it's good looking. [Steve Jobs] does good design, and [the iPad] is absolutely a good example of that." -- Bill Gates on the Apple iPad














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki