Panasonic to Exit Plasma TV Business by March 2014
October 9, 2013 10:30 AM
comment(s) - last by
Workers in the division will be reassigned
In previous years, plasma technology was very popular with consumers that demanded large-screen televisions. However, as LCD technology became cheaper and image quality improved, the demand for plasma TVs has dwindled dramatically.
A rumor surfaced in March of this year that Panasonic would be
exiting the plasma television market
. That exit has now been confirmed according to sources that claim to be familiar with the company’s plans. The sources claim that Panasonic will leave the plasma television panel market by the end of March 2014.
Panasonic has continued to eliminate areas of its business that have performed poorly (as witnessed by its
recent exit from the consumer smartphone market
). Plasma televisions accounted for less than 6% of global shipments in 2012 compared to 87% for LCD TVs.
Sony, Panasonic, and Sharp combined for less than 20% of the worldwide flat-panel TV market by revenue. Samsung has 27.7% of the overall market while LG has 15%.
sources also tipped that the several hundred workers that are currently employed at Panasonic in the plasma television operation will be moved to other divisions within the company.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Too bad
10/10/2013 5:52:03 AM
1. Umm...so? Both can be picked up by one person with ease up to about 60" and both can be hung on the wall, so I fail to see how this is even slightly relevant.
2. You and I have different ideas about significant. My fairly new Plasma TV uses less power than a pair of light bulbs. You might be thinking of older plasmas (like 3+ years old), which burned a phenomenal amount of power.
3. It does generate some heat, but, there's no definition of "large amount" that applies here.
4. Actually, plasmas are tougher than LED/LCD TVs, because they require thicker protective glass on the front. There's no reason you can't make LCD/LEDs just as tough, it's just that they cost double what a plasma would.
5. This is demonstrably not true. If you go off the half-life of the panel/back-light, last time I looked plasmas were at 120,000 hours and LCDs were at 60,000. LED-backlit LCDs at 100,000. However this is an irrelevant metric, as no TV you buy will last even half of this time (even the paltry 60,000 hours of CCFL LCDs is over 20 years (at 8 hours of TV watching a day). Good quality modern equipment will last about seven years, regardless of which type you go for.
"Death Is Very Likely The Single Best Invention Of Life" -- Steve Jobs
Panasonic Leaving Consumer Smartphone Market
September 4, 2013, 10:14 AM
Quick Note: Panasonic Tipped to Exit Plasma TV Market
March 18, 2013, 9:38 AM
Chromebooks Expected to See Sales Grow 26 Percent to 7.3 Million Units This Year
May 22, 2015, 1:26 PM
Apple Finally Updates 15" MacBook Pro w/ Force Touch; 5K iMac Gets Price Cut
May 20, 2015, 1:45 PM
LG G4's International Rollout Begins; Pint-Sized G4c, High-End G4 Stylus Trot Out
May 19, 2015, 12:54 AM
President Obama Posts His First "Personal" Tweet to Twitter Via an iPhone
May 18, 2015, 4:38 PM
Microsoft Bricks the Xbox Ones of Gears of War Testers Responsible for Leaks
May 14, 2015, 5:26 PM
Windows 10 Mobile Build 10080 is Available for New Phones, Brings Office Preview
May 14, 2015, 2:53 PM
Most Popular Articles
America's Largest Cable Company, Comcast, Sees Internet Subscriptions Pass TV
May 4, 2015, 2:46 PM
Can id Software's Doom Find Its Way Out of a 7+ Year Development Hell?
May 19, 2015, 7:38 PM
Oculus Rift Confirms "Pause" in OS X, Linux Development, Some Devs are Mad
May 18, 2015, 11:36 PM
The Pirate Bay Loses Its Iconic Swedish Dot SE Domains
May 20, 2015, 6:31 PM
In-Depth: Apple's ~$1B Court Victory Over Samsung to be Cut up to a Third
May 18, 2015, 9:20 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2015 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information