Square Blocks Gun Retailers from Using its Mobile Payment System
May 15, 2013 9:30 AM
comment(s) - last by
It says the current gun debate has nothing to do with it
There's a lot of controversy surrounding the use of guns these days, and it's even starting to show in the retail sector as Square announces that gun retailers can't use its services.
Square, the San Francisco-based
mobile payment startup
, has announced a change to its terms that says gun retailers cannot use its technology. The exact terms block sales of firearms, firearm hardware, ammunition and parts. It also forbids sales of weapons and "other devices designed to cause physical injury."
Square said its revised terms have nothing to do with the current gun debate.
“From time to time, we revisit our policies governing the use of Square to ensure they are in the best interests of our customers,” said a Square spokesman.
Square isn't the first to snub guns. For instance, General Electric (GE) said it won't provide financing to gun retailers anymore.
While many companies are looking to either take a stance on the gun debate or just be more sensitive about the topic in general, it seems odd that Square is choosing to block out guns.
According to Southwick Associates, a research firm that studies the hunting and shooting industry, only about 30 percent of firearms are distributed to big retail chains like Wal-Mart while the other 70 percent are sent to smaller stores -- and Square aims to spread the use of its cash register-free mobile payment system in small stores like these.
What do you think? Is Square's decision to axe gun retailers a good idea?
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Odd Choice
5/15/2013 4:23:21 PM
Not saying you are wrong, I'm only saying I've heard both sides of this kind of argument before- only it was about birth control being covered by health insurance. There's nothing different about this argument. It's their company and they can run it however they want.
If someone doesn't like it, that's ok. There are other alternatives to square.
"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk." -- Apple CEO Steve Jobs
Square Mobile Payments Startup Receives Large Investment from Visa
April 28, 2011, 10:57 AM
Smart Security Cameras: 5 Good Choices For Any Budget
July 25, 2016, 7:13 PM
Top 5 Smart Watches
July 21, 2016, 11:48 PM
Retiree Sues Apple For $7,500 for Wiping Honeymoon Photos From His iPhone
November 30, 2015, 10:23 AM
iPhone 7 May Pack 3-4 GB Memory, More Storage; 4-Inch Comeback is Rumored
November 20, 2015, 10:12 PM
OnePlus One, OnePlus 2 Will Receive Android Marshmallow in Q1 2016
November 16, 2015, 9:58 AM
Lenovo Whoa: Motorola Droid MAXX 2 and Turbo 2 Break Cover in Leaks
October 26, 2015, 3:12 PM
Most Popular Articles
iPhones May Get Curved Screens Next Year
August 24, 2016, 6:45 AM
Drones at the Airport
August 26, 2016, 5:00 AM
First Apple Computer Auctions for $815,000
August 27, 2016, 7:51 AM
5 Easy Ways to Lower Blood Pressure By Monique C. Bethell, Ph.D.
August 25, 2016, 8:00 AM
2 NEW PlayStation 4 Models - Unveiling September 7th
August 23, 2016, 6:23 AM
Latest Blog Posts
First Self-Driving Car debut on the streets of Singapore
Aug 28, 2016, 4:10 PM
Coming Soon - Drones and Airports
Aug 24, 2016, 12:40 PM
SolarCity’s Gigafactory: A Milesone in Emerging Technology by Lily Emamian - 15 August 2016
Aug 15, 2016, 6:30 AM
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information