backtop


Print 93 comment(s) - last by leftcheek.. on May 12 at 4:20 PM

She was arrested and charged for possession and discharge of a weapon on school property too

A teenage girl from Florida has been expelled from her high school for an accidental explosion caused by mixing chemicals together [outside] on school grounds.

Kiera Wilmot, 16, a Bartow High School student in Florida, was expelled from school when her chemistry experiment exploded. She was mixing some household chemicals (toilet cleaner and aluminum foil) in an 8-ounce water bottle when the top popped off unexpectedly and an explosion occurred.

According to Wilmot, she thought this combination would simply create a bit of smoke, and that the explosion was an accident.

However, Wilmot was arrested on Monday and charged with possession and discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device. 

Kiera Wilmot

She was also expelled from school, and will now have to continue her high school career in an expulsion program.

These extreme consequences are due to zero-tolerance programs, which were enacted in schools in 1994. At that time, Congress required states to adopt laws that expelled students who brought firearms to school for at least a year. All 50 states adopted the laws in order to receive federal funding.

Many are in opposition of these laws, saying that it isn't fair to good kids who make occasional mistakes. Many oppose what happened to Wilmot as well, but the school district has responded to the incident saying that they reacted properly, as the law requires. 

"Unfortunately, what she did falls into our code of conduct," Leah Lauderdale, a spokeswoman for the district, tells Riptide. "It's grounds for immediate expulsion.

"We urge our parents to convey to their kids that there are consequences to their actions."

Lauderdale said Wilmot can challenge her expulsion, but there's no word on whether she has or not at this point. 

Sources: Yahoo News, Huffington Post, Miami New Times



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

This article is so messed up
By sprockkets on 5/3/2013 2:58:34 PM , Rating: 2
This wasn't a school experiment, nor was it done in a "science class." It happened on school grounds near a lake. She did it at 7am.

Then of course you link to another daily tech article that has nothing to do with this incident.

Pretty stupid thing to do on school property. If she and others haven't learned, school rules boarder on being from a Nazi concentration camp.

Remember this incident?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?...




RE: This article is so messed up
By Brandon Hill (blog) on 5/3/2013 3:28:34 PM , Rating: 2
You are correct, and thank you for pointing it out. We have updated the article to reflect that that it occurred on school grounds, but not in class.


RE: This article is so messed up
By deathwombat on 5/3/2013 3:51:15 PM , Rating: 2
That's not the impression I had at all until I read Brandon Hill's post.

"Kiera Wilmot, 16, a Bartow High School student in Florida, was expelled from school when her chemistry experiment exploded."

When I read "chemistry experiment", I inferred that she was in Chemistry class. I think that's what any reasonable person would infer. The term "school grounds" include the area inside of the school, so this attempt to convey that she was outdoors was too subtle to change that impression. Besides which, my 12th Grade Chemistry teacher took us outside one day to work with chemicals that were going to give off fumes, so merely being outside doesn't mean that she wasn't in class. There is nothing in this article, as it is currently written, that would lead me to think that she was not conducting an experiment during Chemistry class.


RE: This article is so messed up
By Spookster on 5/3/2013 4:05:04 PM , Rating: 2
I agree. I also inferred that she was doing this as part of a class assignment based on how this article and headline is worded. It should be more clear that she was doing this without permission or supervision outside of class but on school grounds.

And was it really a "chemistry experiment accident" or was it just someone goofing around? If she was actually trying to learn something through the experiment then this really should be nothing more than a slap on the wrist and told get permission first in the future. If she was doing this to purposely cause an explosion because she thought it would be cool then yeah expel her.


RE: This article is so messed up
By BRB29 on 5/6/2013 8:09:23 AM , Rating: 3
it was not a chemistry experiment
it was on school ground outside
it was not assigned by a teacher
no teacher was supervising this as it was 7 am when class hasn't started
no chemistry teacher would teach kids to use drano and aluminum foil in a bottle as it will cause a reaction and creates a large amount of gas in a short period of time. Being in a closed bottle, it will cause it explode. The explosion can take off fingers and inject acid at a high velocity into your skin. I've never seen drano in a lab, just in a locked wall locker marked "janitors only"

This article leaves out so many details to make the girl look good. It's like every article here has something against the government or authority.


By drycrust3 on 5/3/2013 3:36:49 PM , Rating: 2
My thanks for highlighting the fact that Wilmot wasn't actually in class at the time of the explosion, some other media do say the police reported, as you said, the "event" happened around 7am. I think this is an important fact that needs to be reported as one could easily jump to the conclusion the "experiment" was being conducted in a science class with school supplied equipment, when it wasn't.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/312750/8/Bartow-H...


"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?... So why the f*** doesn't it do that?" -- Steve Jobs

Related Articles













botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki