Print 71 comment(s) - last by PCMerlin.. on Apr 12 at 1:56 PM

Secretary of Transportation repeatedly postponed making a decision on this legislation

Lawmakers in Washington have been considering a mandate that would force automakers to install rear view cameras in most all-new vehicles. Two members of Congress and parents of children injured (or killed) by inattentive drivers backing over them are now calling on regulators to finalize the regulations.

The advocates are urging the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to finalize regulations that have been delayed four times since 2011. Congress approved legislation in 2007 that was signed into law by President George W Bush requiring the government to set regulations for rear visibility by February 28, 2011.
However, that date has come and gone many times with Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood repeatedly choosing to delay making a decision on the rule.

The NHTSA has proposed standards that would have required automakers to install backup cameras on all new vehicles by the year 2014. The regulation was expected to be in effect by September of 2014 and was estimated to cost the auto industry in the area of $1.9 billion to $2.7 billion annually. The regulation would also likely increase the purchase price of new vehicles.

NHTSA administrator David Strickland recently said that the ruling would happen "at some point in the near future." He did point out that the rule is still under review, commenting, "We are still working through a number of issues. It's a very important rule for the department… We want to make sure we get it right."

The backup camera regulations are intended to help eliminate the blind spots on vehicles that could obscure pedestrians, particularly the elderly and children, from the driver's view. The NHTSA says that about 100 children age 5 or under die each year in backup accidents and more than half of those are one year old or younger. 

Source: Detroit News

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

By Topweasel on 4/9/2013 1:14:14 PM , Rating: 2
If it was a mere accident that isn't avoidable at all there wouldn't be only 100 deaths a year. It's true that it will inevitably happen. I mean Billions of backups are made a year, so your bound to catch a few kids here or there. But the fact is that there are a million different options to avoid it and if you miss them all then you are an idiot. First up paying attention to your surroundings when you get into the car. Are there kids playing in the yards near by? Yes then pay close attention, watch the mirrors while you prep before backing up. Pay special attention to the area the kids are playing at when looking in the mirror and when craned around. Watch for the slightest disturbance.

Between not thinking you own the area behind your car and parents taking in account of their kids while playing outside 99% of these issues would go away. People not cluttering up their yards with bushes and trees to look pretty will allow others to see your car is in reverse before you pull out. That gets rid of the other 1%. Now you are left with 1 death in like ten years where there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent it that a camera might have prevented.

So yes the Stereo type would be that either the driver or the Parent screwed up an were idiots. Specially the parents because well they had the most precious thing in the world and lost it over whatever the hell they were doing that wasn't watching them. But you know what would be a lot easier than a law forcing everyone to spend an extra $200 a car to make up for at worst 300 people failing to do their responsibility a year? Telling people to back into the drive way and that way they are pulling out forward. It's 100x easier for people to see what your doing and the biggest worry is farther up in your driveway not at the sidewalk where anyone can be. But much like asking drivers to pay more attention to their surroundings and especially when kids are around, or asking parents to actually be parents to their youngsters that don't know better,it takes to much time away from a day filled with accomplishing nothing to put the extra seconds/minutes in.

"Google fired a shot heard 'round the world, and now a second American company has answered the call to defend the rights of the Chinese people." -- Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-N.J.)

Most Popular Articles5 Cases for iPhone 7 and 7 iPhone Plus
September 18, 2016, 10:08 AM
Laptop or Tablet - Which Do You Prefer?
September 20, 2016, 6:32 AM
Update: Samsung Exchange Program Now in Progress
September 20, 2016, 5:30 AM
Smartphone Screen Protectors – What To Look For
September 21, 2016, 9:33 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki