Update: 128GB Surface Pro Only Has 83GB Free for Users; 64GB Version Left with 23GB
January 29, 2013 2:16 PM
comment(s) - last by
Windows 8 Pro and Microsoft's pre-installed apps take a big bite out of available storage
This isn't the first time that we've heard about space constraints in Microsoft's Surface tablets, and this likely won't be the last. Back in early November,
we briefly touched on the fact
that Surface RT has its available storage space seriously encroached by the operating system and pre-installed software. The 32GB version only has 16GB available to the user, while the 64GB version has 45GB available to the user.
For comparison, the 32GB and 64GB iPad/iPad mini have roughly 28.6GB and 57.2GB available respectively to the user.
We are now hearing reports that the upcoming Surface Pro takes an even bigger hit due to Windows 8 Pro and pre-installed apps from Microsoft. According to
, the 128GB Surface Pro will only have 83GB of space available to the user. So the user is losing 45GB of storage space due to formatting/OS/pre-installed apps.
That's a big chunk of space robbed from the user on the 128GB version, but users who are thinking about the 64GB Surface Pro might want to think twice if it too is going to get hit with a 45GB punch to the gut. However, it should be noted that both the Surface RT and Surface Pro do features expandable storage via an SDXC slot; and the Surface Pro also features a USB 3.0 port.
For a refresher, the Surface Pro will be available in the U.S. and Canada
starting on February 9
at $899 and $999 for the 64GB and 128GB models respectively.
Updated 1/29/2013 @ 2:16pm EST
reports that the 64GB Surface Pro will only have 23GB of available free space fresh out of the box. Microsoft also states that you will be able to get some of that free space back by "creating a backup bootable USB and deleting the recovery partition."
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
1/29/2013 10:14:07 AM
I use my tablet 98% of the time and only use the laptop the other 2% of the time that I can't get something to work on the tablet. If I had a tablet that can do everything, then I won't need to use the laptop. The tablet is a much more convenient device than the laptop.
However because I use the tablet for almost everything I don't purchase games I know that won't work on the tablet. So instead of having new titles like Diabo III, I just make due with what is available. I would say 20% of what I use to do on the laptop I just don't do anymore since I can't do it on the tablet.
Hopefully everything converges and we have tablets that can perform just as good as laptops at the same price point without sacrificing battery life and weight, but we are a long ways away. At this point power users won't be able to move to tablets like the average user can.
1/30/2013 3:53:09 AM
I'm playing Diablo 3 on my tablet (convertible, HP tm2). Surface Pro will run it smoothly too. But I do have to use the keyboard for it.
"So if you want to save the planet, feel free to drive your Hummer. Just avoid the drive thru line at McDonalds." -- Michael Asher
Quick Note: Microsoft Surface Pro Coming February 9
January 22, 2013, 1:12 PM
Ballmer Says Surface RT Sales Off to "Modest" Start
November 13, 2012, 9:03 AM
iLate: CEO Tim Cook Says Apple Watch Will Ship in April
January 28, 2015, 3:03 PM
Amazon's Fire Sale on Fire Phone Steps up in UK w/ 1-Day Sale @ $150 Unlocked
January 28, 2015, 11:53 AM
Apple Sees Record Profit of $18 Billion, Sells 74.5 Million iPhones in Q1 FY2015
January 27, 2015, 6:01 PM
Apple Might Miss High-End of Analyst Estimates, Microsoft Earnings Hint
January 27, 2015, 3:14 PM
Microsoft Smartphone Sales Up 28 Percent as Lumia Budget Models Gain Ground
January 27, 2015, 8:30 AM
Quick Note: Special 20th Anniversary PlayStation 4 Raises $128,000 for Charity
January 26, 2015, 4:14 PM
Most Popular Articles
Ancient Aliens? 11.2 Billion Year Old Solar System Discovered
January 29, 2015, 12:09 PM
Google Fixes Homophobic "Bug" in its Translator
January 27, 2015, 2:31 PM
Dual-Motor Tesla Model S P85D's "Insane Mode" Shocks Passengers
January 28, 2015, 11:18 PM
Samsung Stutters; Profits Fall 36%, Loses Global Smartphone Sales Lead to Apple
January 30, 2015, 12:40 PM
Microsoft to Close Nokia Store, May Lose Over a Hundred Thousand Apps
January 26, 2015, 11:15 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2015 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information