Print 58 comment(s) - last by Mint.. on Jan 30 at 11:50 AM

Chrome makes up as much as 10% of Acer's US sales

Acer has been having a difficult time in the computer market over the last several quarters, and has posted consecutive annual losses. Acer also announced during its latest quarterly report that it had taken $120 million write-off due to the declining value of Gateway, Packard Bell, and eMachines-branded computers.

Despite these troubles, the company is touting strong sales of its Chromebooks that use Google’s Chrome OS, while still talking negatively about Windows 8.

Acer says that notebooks running Chrome OS account for 5 to 10% of its U.S. shipments since the machines were released here in November. Acer President Jim Wong said that he expects the ratio of Chrome sales to be sustainable in the long term. He also said that the company is considering offering additional Chrome OS models in other developed markets.

Acer C7 Chromebook

Acer and many other computer makers are looking for alternatives to the Windows operating system because consumers continue to stick with older versions of the operating system rather than upgrade to the latest version.

“Windows 8 itself is still not successful,” said Wong. “The whole market didn’t come back to growth after the Windows 8 launch, that’s a simple way to judge if it is successful or not.”
Wong criticized Windows 8 earlier this month alleging that Microsoft was getting marketing for its new operating system wrong.

Source: Bloomberg

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

Acer = Low Price / Quality
By Ramstark on 1/28/2013 12:03:43 PM , Rating: 2
Well, no surprise here, Chromebooks are supposed to be "dumb" "cheap" PCs...with the only functionality of being internet browsers.
Acer has always been known for offering cheap equipment, si its logical that they support UNIX/LINUX OSs. So, yes, bash Windows 8 all you want, high end computers will still have this OS as well as workstations, until you make server-client communications programs that are easy to use.

RE: Acer = Low Price / Quality
By Argon18 on 1/28/13, Rating: 0
RE: Acer = Low Price / Quality
By 91TTZ on 1/28/2013 3:43:27 PM , Rating: 4
Huh? High end workstations run UNIX, or Linux, and are used for CAD, 3D modelling, Semiconductor design, engineering, etc. Windows is for mass-market commodity desktops, i.e. the lowest common denominator, for dull gray office workers who write spreadsheets all day. Outside of that crowd, the video game kiddies at home are the only other market for Windows peecee's.

I've worked for many large corporations and I can tell you that most high end workstations run Windows. You mentioned CAD and 3D modeling. The two most popular programs are AutoCad and SolidWorks. Neither of those programs is even available for Linux. SolidWorks is Windows-only and AutoCad is primarily Windows with a less popular Mac version.

It makes sense. After all, if you're a software company that makes scientific/engineering programs are you going to cater to the 90% share of the market that uses Windows or are you going to cater to the remaining 10% chunk split between Linux and MacOS?

"Well, we didn't have anyone in line that got shot waiting for our system." -- Nintendo of America Vice President Perrin Kaplan

Latest Headlines
Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs
September 25, 2016, 9:00 AM
The Samsung Galaxy S7
September 14, 2016, 6:00 AM
Apple Watch 2 – Coming September 7th
September 3, 2016, 6:30 AM
Apple says “See you on the 7th.”
September 1, 2016, 6:30 AM

Most Popular Articles5 Cases for iPhone 7 and 7 iPhone Plus
September 18, 2016, 10:08 AM
Laptop or Tablet - Which Do You Prefer?
September 20, 2016, 6:32 AM
Update: Samsung Exchange Program Now in Progress
September 20, 2016, 5:30 AM
Smartphone Screen Protectors – What To Look For
September 21, 2016, 9:33 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki