Apple Increases Supplier Audits by 72 Percent in 2012, Cuts Off Those that Don't Comply
January 25, 2013 12:00 PM
comment(s) - last by
Apple reported one supplier and one agency to the local authorities for underage workers
Apple said it upped its
audits of suppliers
(mainly in Asia) by 72 percent from 2011 to 2012, and even cut ties with suppliers that didn't follow the code of conduct.
For all of 2012, Apple conducted a total of 393 audits -- an increase of 72 percent compared to 2011. Apple said it has even started auditing its smaller component makers in addition to the larger ones like Foxconn.
During these audits, Apple found two main issues: underage workers and excessive overtime.
In one particular case, Apple discovered that Asian supplier Guangdong Real Faith Pingzhou Electronics Co Ltd had 74 issues concerning underage workers. Apple terminated the business relationship.
In addition, Apple found that an employment agency was forging documents to allow underage workers to gain employment at its supplier's factories. Apple reported the agency to local authorities.
After auditing small to large suppliers in 2012, Apple found that 95 percent had complied with the code of conduct regarding underage labor.
According to Apple, limiting work weeks to a maximum of 60 hours was another challenge. About 92 percent of suppliers complied, while Apple corrected the remaining 8 percent.
Other issues were discovered in 2012 as well, such as bonded labor agencies that help immigrant workers find jobs (but take a significant amount of their pay in return) and discriminatory behavior against women. To correct this, Apple forced the bonded labor agencies to reimburse $6.4 million in excess foreign contract worker fees for 2012. It also stopped the discrimination against women, such as practices where women must take pregnancy tests before gaining employment.
"At Apple, we care just as much about how our products are made as we do about how they’re designed," said Apple in a statement. "We know people have very high expectations of us. We have even higher expectations of ourselves."
Apple said it is focusing on
for 2013, saying that it will make sure suppliers don't abuse the internship program.
Apple's supplier problems stem from many Foxconn-related issues over the past few years, such as
, explosions from the
buildup of aluminum dust
used to polish devices, low wages, crowded dorms and long hours.
A year ago, a report from
The New York Times
blamed Apple for Foxconn's list of issues, saying that Apple wasn't doing enough about it. From there, Apple voluntarily
joined the Fair Labor Association (FLA)
for random audits.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
1/25/2013 12:40:15 PM
While I'm not an Apple fan I don't agree with bashing them for trivial reasons. Yes they're probably doing all this for better PR, but almost every other corporation does the same thing.
I'm just glad they owned up to it and started doing something about it instead of spinning why it's a good thing to have underage workers making iThings.
"Young lady, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" -- Homer Simpson
Foxconn Says it Broke China Labor Laws with Underage Interns
October 16, 2012, 2:15 PM
FLA: Foxconn Factory Conditions Better, Still Improving
August 22, 2012, 4:27 PM
Report: Apple's Suppliers Continuously Violate Code of Conduct, Apple Does Nothing to Change It
January 27, 2012, 4:24 AM
Explosion Rocks Foxconn's iPad 2 Factory, Three Dead
May 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Foxconn Installs Anti-Suicide Nets at Its Facilities
June 29, 2010, 9:43 AM
Retiree Sues Apple For $7,500 for Wiping Honeymoon Photos From His iPhone
November 30, 2015, 10:23 AM
iPhone 7 May Pack 3-4 GB Memory, More Storage; 4-Inch Comeback is Rumored
November 20, 2015, 10:12 PM
OnePlus One, OnePlus 2 Will Receive Android Marshmallow in Q1 2016
November 16, 2015, 9:58 AM
Lenovo Whoa: Motorola Droid MAXX 2 and Turbo 2 Break Cover in Leaks
October 26, 2015, 3:12 PM
Leak: Apple Preps for First Real Android App Foray With New Apple Music App
October 24, 2015, 1:59 PM
Pepsi Smartphone? Empty Calories Coming Soon to the Midrange
October 12, 2015, 11:41 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information