backtop


Print 112 comment(s) - last by BillyBatson.. on Nov 6 at 11:22 AM


Bob Iger and George Lucas  (Source: The Walt Disney Company)
Disney will make Episodes 7, 8 and 9 as well

"Star Wars" will be making its way back to the big screen now that The Walt Disney Company has acquired Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 billion USD. 
 
Disney said it is buying Lucasfilm Ltd. with cash and stock, and the deal includes Lucasfilm's high-tech production companies (Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound) and the rights to the "Indiana Jones" franchise.
 
Even though George Lucas, the creator of "Star Wars" and founder of Lucasfilm Ltd., said he was done making new versions of his mega popular epic space opera, he's going to allow Disney to bring "Star Wars" back to life. 
 
Disney is currently working on a new "Star Wars" trilogy, beginning with "Episode 7." The new episode is due out in 2015, and Episodes 8 and 9 will shortly follow. According to Disney, the new trilogy will follow Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo beyond "Return of the Jedi," which was the third film in the original trilogy (but is chronologically the sixth film in the franchise).
 
"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see 'Star Wars' passed from one generation to the next," said Lucas. "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."
 
 
Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become the president of the unit. She will also be executive producer for the new trilogy. 
 
Kennedy has been working with Lucas and a team of writers to discuss the storyline for "Episode 7." Kennedy said it's essential to have Lucas present as a key advisor during the making of the next trilogy, and she even referred to him as "her Yoda." Lucas has provided his story lines for the new trilogy. 
 
"I always said I wasn't going to do any more and that's true, because I'm not going to do any more, but that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to turn it over to Kathy to do more," said Lucas.
 
Lucas has received quite a bit of criticism in the recent past due to his decisions involving "Star Wars." Despite creating the hugely popular original trilogy in the 1970s and 80s, he quickly became the bad guy when the second trilogy was released. Many fans disliked the new story line, which took place prior to the original trilogy. Fans also hated new characters, such as Jar Jar Binks. 
 
To make matters worse, Lucas changed some key details in the original trilogy (such as the scene where Greedo takes the first shot at Han Solo in a bar) and released 3D versions of the movies earlier this year, marking Lucas as a "sell out." 

Source: Disney



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: People will hate episodes 7, 8 & 9..
By Master Kenobi (blog) on 10/31/2012 7:54:24 PM , Rating: 2
The Avengers was only good because it had the depth of a blade of grass and plenty of action. Most of the development of the characters and background took place in prior Marvel films.

Disney is not known for making good movies. They do however fund studios like Marvel that do a decent job. Star Wars != Marvel though. We tried the tons of action and little plot and we got the prequel trilogy that everyone hated.

Frankly I think Disney will hose up Star Wars worse than Lucas ever did. At least with Lucas he left the post ROTJ timeline alone, Disney is going to fubar that and piss all over the novels that were far better than any of the movies.


RE: People will hate episodes 7, 8 & 9..
By JediJeb on 10/31/2012 8:48:08 PM , Rating: 2
If they will stick to Lucas' original story line for the last trilogy which was released to provide the backbone for the Thrawn trilogy of books then it might be good. The problem will be getting Disney to put out such a dark series of movies which would be the best plots but not so good for children.

Their best bet to succeed would be to fork the series and make the darker Thrawn trilogy for adults while splitting out something along the lines of the Young Jedi Academy series following the Solo children geared for the youth market.

The whole Star Wars story has so much depth that it can be handled many different ways to reach a broad range of audiences. It seems so far that Lucas Films will still be headed up by the current exec so maybe they will have enough control still to make it work separate from Disney itself. I wonder if there has been any more followup to the rumors of a live action TV series that was supposed to already be in pre-production?


By Master Kenobi (blog) on 11/1/2012 5:07:50 AM , Rating: 3
Who knows. Disney I fear will take Star Wars down to PG route and not into the PG-13/R route it needs to go.


By FITCamaro on 11/1/2012 7:02:01 AM , Rating: 2
Supposedly they're targeting all new story lines for 7-9 instead of using something from the expanded universe. So no Thrawn Trilogy.

Yup. Probably gonna suck....


"Intel is investing heavily (think gazillions of dollars and bazillions of engineering man hours) in resources to create an Intel host controllers spec in order to speed time to market of the USB 3.0 technology." -- Intel blogger Nick Knupffer














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki