Retina Who? Google Set to Announce 10", 2560x1600 Jelly Bean Tablet
October 21, 2012 1:09 PM
comment(s) - last by
Google is looking to one-up that iPad's Retina display
Apple may be looking to crush the competition's hopes of
taking over the 7" tablet market
upcoming iPad Mini
, but Google is looking to grab a few headlines of its own on Monday, October 29.
The Next Web
, Google will officially unveil a
32GB version of its popular Nexus 7 tablet
. The device has already turned up in stores across the U.S. and some lucky people have
even been able to purchase the device
, which is priced at $249 (the same price as the previous 16GB model). In addition, there will also be another 32GB Nexus 7 that will feature 3G connectivity. This device will most likely be aimed right at
Amazon's 8.9" Kindle Fire HD LTE 4G
(say that three times fast).
The star of the show, however, will be Google's new 10" tablet that was developed in conjunction with Samsung. This tablet will come bearing Android 4.2 (still operating under the Jelly Bean codename) and a Retina-surpassing resolution of 2560x1600 (300 ppi). Apple's "New iPad" features a screen resolution of 2048x1536 (264 ppi).
The device will likely be called the Nexus 10. We don't have any specs to report on at this time other than the screen, but we can only assume that it'll be packing a quad-core processor and at least 64GB of storage space at the high-end.
The Next Web
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: That's great and all, but...
10/22/2012 10:59:08 AM
I'm with you on wanting the higher res monitors, but there's a couple of issues here. First is likely the yield, or the amount of screens you can actually use out of the screens you attempt to make (i.e. all the elements are mechanically aligned, all electrical connections are sound, no dead pixels, etc).
If you have a screen with 4x the number of pixels as your old screen, it also about 4x as likely to fail. Imagine you have a 99% yield for the original screen (or 1% failure). If you simplify the equation and say that all you have to to do is make 4 screens and these will magically join together, then the chance any large screen will be good is 99% to the fourth power. So 99%^4 is approximately 96%, or a 4% failure rate. Not only have you quadrupled your failure rate, but you've quadrupled the amount of materials lost when you do fail. This makes increasing resolution exponential more difficult and expensive.
That being said, the industry is obviously making progress and we'll get there eventually.
Second, even if you were willing to pay the high prices that low yield would currently drive, you still don't have any easy way to drive the display. Current cabling standards don't have the bandwidth. Though this is again not really a technological limitation. We can obviously do it...we just need a standard so people can manufacture the new cables.
In other words, it's a commercial issue rather than a technological one, but advancements in manufacturing technology would help drive the prices down and make it more commercially viable. While you and I would pay for these displays today, the potential market will have to expand past us early adopters to make it a profitable decision.
Kudos to Apple and Google for working with the display manufacturers to help drive the market toward this end!
RE: That's great and all, but...
10/23/2012 12:21:33 PM
Failure rate increases with res but current manufacturing is god enough to handle higher res screen on small computer monitor sized displays. The failure rate for a high res 22-30" lcd is going to be much less than the failure rate of a 60" HD tv. Panel size matters a lot more for failure than screen res.
"People Don't Respect Confidentiality in This Industry" -- Sony Computer Entertainment of America President and CEO Jack Tretton
New Xbox 360 Holiday Bundles On the Way
October 17, 2012, 5:00 PM
Quick Note: Apple iPad mini Event Confirmed for October 23
October 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
Barnes and Noble Takes Jabs at Amazon with Nook HD, HD+ Tablets
September 26, 2012, 5:53 AM
Amazon Reveals $299 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, $499 LTE Model with $50 Yearly Data Plan
September 6, 2012, 2:05 PM
Smart Security Cameras: 5 Good Choices For Any Budget
July 25, 2016, 7:13 PM
Top 5 Smart Watches
July 21, 2016, 11:48 PM
Retiree Sues Apple For $7,500 for Wiping Honeymoon Photos From His iPhone
November 30, 2015, 10:23 AM
iPhone 7 May Pack 3-4 GB Memory, More Storage; 4-Inch Comeback is Rumored
November 20, 2015, 10:12 PM
OnePlus One, OnePlus 2 Will Receive Android Marshmallow in Q1 2016
November 16, 2015, 9:58 AM
Lenovo Whoa: Motorola Droid MAXX 2 and Turbo 2 Break Cover in Leaks
October 26, 2015, 3:12 PM
Most Popular Articles
Say Goodbye to Data Plans - Sprint and T-Mobile offer Unlimited Data
August 22, 2016, 6:12 AM
Lenovo vs. Asus vs. HP - Best Laptop Under $500.00
August 19, 2016, 4:00 AM
Get Ready to wait in line – iPhone 7 due September.
August 18, 2016, 7:15 AM
5 Healthy and Creative ways to add Fiber to your Diet By Monique C. Bethell, Ph.D.
August 18, 2016, 7:43 AM
Uber - Everyone's Autonomous Car Driver?
August 20, 2016, 6:01 AM
Latest Blog Posts
SolarCity’s Gigafactory: A Milesone in Emerging Technology by Lily Emamian - 15 August 2016
Aug 15, 2016, 6:30 AM
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information