Print 49 comment(s) - last by masamasa.. on Oct 17 at 10:40 PM

The companies haven't disclosed how much Apple is paying

Apple has decided to pay up for an allegedly stolen clock design in its latest iOS 6 mobile operating system.

IOS 6, which was released last month only days ahead of the iPhone 5, featured a new clock design for the iPad that seemed pretty basic. Just a white face with black, rectangular notches representing the numbers, black hour/minute hands and a red seconds hand. No big deal, right?

Wrong. The iOS 6 clock was nearly identical to a clock design developed by a railway company in Switzerland called Swiss Federal Railways (SBB). SBB said its company created that clock design back in 1944.

SBB's clock [left] and Apple's iOS 6 clock design (right)
[Image Source: IBN Live]

When SBB became aware of the stolen design, it immediately contacted Apple in hopes of some sort of licensing agreement.

"We are proud that this icon of clock design is being used by a globally successful company," said Reto Kormann, SBB spokesperson. "We've approached Apple and told them that the rights for this clock belong to us."

Now, Apple has agreed on licensing terms for the clock design with SBB. However, the companies haven't disclosed how much Apple is paying.

It's interesting to see Apple on the losing end of a copyright infringement claim; especially after the hell it has put Samsung through over mobile patent lawsuits. After a lengthy battle with Samsung around the globe, a U.S. jury found Samsung guilty of copying the iPhone/iPad for its Galaxy line. Not only was Samsung ordered to pay $1.05 billion USD in damages, but a court date on December 6 may lead to more product bans for the South Korean electronics maker. Apple is also looking to boost that $1.05 billion fine to $3 billion.

Source: The Verge

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: yes but
By Marmadoc on 10/15/2012 2:11:09 PM , Rating: 0
No. Zero percent impact is impossible to evaluate. You can’t know the admittedly small number of people that would not buy the phone due to this defect.

But, for the sake of argument, let’s assume it is zero percent And that is part of the issue, you know.

If batteries came defective and lasted half the time, you know what would be impact? Zero.

If the screen was an inch larger, you know what would be the impact? Zero.

If the processor had 70% or 130% of its current power, you know what would be the impact? Zero.

Arguments on this line are meaningless.

“Meanwhile in the real world” That is the same world that values a soccer player 100 times more than a Nobel laureate. I have a friend that worked on a jeans factory. 25% of the production was separated for one branding, the other 75% got another. The exact same jeans made 3-4 times more expensive by the tag attached to it. My aunt worked on a store that had a certain brand of perfume that went for $30-40. Since it was not going well, they doubled the price and then some, to $80-100, and sales went UP.

This is the world that you use to validate your opinions?

If you put Android on an IPhone 5 and show to people on the street, many would say how much better is has become since 4S. If you show an IPhone 5 with IOS 2 many would say the same. If you put IOS 6 on a Samsung and show it around to iFans, they would snigger is disdain.

Anyway, about the clock design. They copied it. Plain and simple: “It’s very nice, let’s copy and not pay a dime. We could ask, but they might say no, so we’ll copy and wait until they complain. Then we quietly give some spare change and everyone is happy. If they don’t complain, we get away with it and everyone is even happier. “ Morally wrong? Yup. Business wrong? Not at all. Legally wrong? Not anymore.

But they copied. Can you come down form your stand and admit it? Can you come out here and say:


I dare you.

"Folks that want porn can buy an Android phone." -- Steve Jobs

Latest Headlines
Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs
September 25, 2016, 9:00 AM
The Samsung Galaxy S7
September 14, 2016, 6:00 AM
Apple Watch 2 – Coming September 7th
September 3, 2016, 6:30 AM
Apple says “See you on the 7th.”
September 1, 2016, 6:30 AM

Most Popular ArticlesSmartphone Screen Protectors – What To Look For
September 21, 2016, 9:33 AM
UN Meeting to Tackle Antimicrobial Resistance
September 21, 2016, 9:52 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM
5 Cases for iPhone 7 and 7 iPhone Plus
September 18, 2016, 10:08 AM
Update: Problem-Free Galaxy Note7s CPSC Approved
September 22, 2016, 5:30 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki