Media Reaction on iPhone 5 is Mixed, Some Pan Apple for Uninspired Showing
September 12, 2012 5:26 PM
comment(s) - last by
Critics say Apple is moving to slowly to compete with innovative competitors
"While many will no doubt proclaim the iPhone 5 to be a miss due to the lack of radical change, I say look at it logically. The last time a product as successful as the iPhone got a radical change it was a total disaster. Remember New Coke?"
James Kendrick, a contributor at
I. Some Reviews Blast Apple for Slow Progress
There's praise in there for Apple, Inc.'s (
-- indeed Mr. Kendrick even titles his piece "Just what Apple needed". But by the same token Mr. Kendrick is openly acknowledging that some folks will be less-than-impressed with Apple's modest hardware improvements and virtual standstill on the operating system front.
Others like "Fake Steve Jobs" -- Dan Lyons -- were far less kind. Writing for
, Mr. Lyons
Somewhere up there, I can hear Steve screaming.... Apple's renowned designer Jonathan Ive has replaced the tiny 3.5in (8.9cm) screen with a slightly-less-tiny 4in (10.2cm) screen? Wow. Knock me over with a feather. What do you do with the rest of your time, Jony? ...despite all its bluster about innovation, Apple has become a copycat, and not even a good one. Why is Apple making the iPhone bigger? To keep up with the top Android phones.
In terms of products, Apple has become the one thing it should never be. Apple has become boring.
writes in a piece entitled "Apple iPhone 5: big innovation takes a holiday":
Let there be no doubt, the device will sell a boatload of units. However, the changes seemed all incremental improvements -- new features that were nice, but none that catapulted Apple ahead and left all rival Android phones in the dust.
Doubtless the hardcore fans will argue that Apple is revolutionary, blazing trails and creating amazing products. But from a more detached view, the company's pace of major innovation seems to be slowing. For example, there didn't seem to be anything new that was the equivalent of a Siri or Retina display.
To be fair, there were some glowing articles as well -- and the majority of bloggers took the high road in terms of simply reporting the facts and details on the presentation.
But the iPhone 5 is perhaps the most mixed reaction to an iPhone since the product's 2007 launch. If the iPhone 4S launch
left some lukewarm
, this one left the critics downright chilly.
Surely this kind of negative publicity would never have occurred under Apple co-founder and two-time CEO Steve Jobs' watch. But
Steve is gone
, and Tim Cook is at the helm, and so far Apple seems to have lost some of its magic which once enraptured most members of the media.
II. Is Apple "Pulling a Vista"?
The reaction draws some analogies to the reviews of Windows Vista. That's not to say the product is the same -- it clearly isn't. Nor are the circumstances. But reading the reviews recap:
I'd say the majority were guardedly positive, saying that Vista looked good overall but wasn't a killer product that demanded instant installation on every PC on the planet. ZDNet’s Ed Bott (who didn’t publish a comprehensive review), PC World’s Preston Gralla, and Paul Thurrott were enthusiastic overall; BusinessWeek’s Steve Wildstrom, CNET's Robert Vamosi, and PC Magazine’s John Clyman all accentuated more negatives than most. Only Forbes’ Manes was extremely negative, period.
's study on the contentious Microsoft Corp. (
) product and one observes some similarities -- a massive company pitching a flagship product that leaves many neutral, and a few vehemently negative, to the point where some were complaining that the innovative fire was gone from the product maker's eyes.
Windows Vista was another iconic product to draw mixed reviews; yet it generated decent sales overall. [Image Source: FoxNews]
The Vista comparison
isn't very flattering
. But remember, Vista sold
copies in 7 months -- almost 30 million licenses per calendar quarter. The lesson? Even if Apple's product is as much of a dud as its strongest critics state, residual product loyalty and its massive sales machines will drive modest sales, much as similar factors at Microsoft helped move Vista licenses.
Technologizer [Vista Reviews]
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Hardware upgrades, software stale
9/14/2012 3:19:00 AM
You can mock all you like, the things you list are clearly things that are important to you personally. Let me tell you about the overwhelming majority...
3.5" is fine for pretty much anything in a phone. People own laptops etc. if they need a monster screen. I've yet to see anything that can be done in 4.7" that cannot be done in 3.5"
4G DOES suck battery life and it was chronic up to the latest chipsets. You cannot seriously deny this.
That's right NFC isn't secure. And it's a bit slow. It's a big reason a lot of organisations (London Transport for example) have shunned it. Once we reach critical mass then you will see what the whole security issue is about. Even touch-less credit cards are already being ripped off from people brushing past wallets.
Micro USB is fine but try docking a heavy phone levering on that puny, badly designed port. Doesn't last very long, does it? Devices designed to dock need something a bit better engineered.
Removable storage is wonderful for about 5% of people. The other 95% buy one card and never remove it again. Digital cameras etc. were exactly the same for the last 15 years or so.
Removable batteries are not needed. Well designed hardware that doesn't suck the life out of the battery and great battery technology is what's needed. Also a shitty OS that doesn't crash every day necessitating removable of the battery to kill it helps...
RE: Hardware upgrades, software stale
9/14/2012 8:56:28 AM
Wow, you really are full of excuses.
"3.5" is fine for pretty much anything in a phone."
Yet even Apple was forced to go higher becasue everyone wants larger.
"I've yet to see anything that can be done in 4.7" that cannot be done in 3.5"
Games and movies/video suck on 3.5, especially on the iPhone with 2:3 ratio.
"4G DOES suck battery life and it was chronic up to the latest chipsets. You cannot seriously deny this."
Yet every other manufacturer figured out how to make it work.
"That's right NFC isn't secure. And it's a bit slow."
It is what is happening, it is the standard of transactions to come. Apple WILL have to support it. I am sure when they do your tune will magically change.
"Micro USB is fine but try docking a heavy phone levering on that puny, badly designed port. "
Its about being compatible with every other charger on planet Earth. Dock? WTF toy are you playing with. LOL.
"Removable storage is wonderful for about 5% of people. The other 95% buy one card and never remove it again"
I agree and I am one of those 95%... However with iPhone you cant put in your one and keep it. You dont have the option.
"Removable batteries are not needed. "
LOL, lame excuses all of them. Not needed by you. Those of us with jobs and that travel are often away from the charger for long periods and options to A) get a replacement battery or B) get a larger 3dr party battery are invaluable.
Excuses Excuses Excuses. Enjoy your "starter phone"
"We can't expect users to use common sense. That would eliminate the need for all sorts of legislation, committees, oversight and lawyers." -- Christopher Jennings
Apple Announces 4", LTE Equipped iPhone 5; Pre-orders Begin Sept. 14
September 12, 2012, 1:00 PM
Apple Co-founder and Former CEO Steve Jobs Dead at Age 56
October 5, 2011, 7:51 PM
IPhone 4S Disappoints Consumers, Investors; Siri App Kicked Out of App Store
October 5, 2011, 10:27 AM
Microsoft Exec Suggests Apple's iPhone 4 Debacle is Apple's "Vista"
July 14, 2010, 5:20 PM
Microsoft: 60 Million Vistas Shipped, 1 Billion Windows by 2008
July 31, 2007, 9:20 AM
Microsoft Admits Lumia 925 and 1020 Have Sleeping Sickness, Bug Fix is Planned
November 24, 2014, 1:12 PM
Report: Samsung Galaxy S5 Sales Have Come in 40% Below Projections
November 24, 2014, 6:58 AM
Quick Note: Google Chromebooks Now Coming with 1TB of Google Drive Space
November 21, 2014, 1:20 PM
Xiaomi Aims to be #1 Smartphone OEM Within 10 Years, Apple Urges Caution
November 21, 2014, 9:33 AM
Quick Note: Samsung's Request to Dismiss Microsoft Lawsuit is Rejected
November 20, 2014, 12:53 PM
Amazon Offers "The Washington Post" Free for Six Months to Kindle Fire Owners
November 20, 2014, 7:41 AM
Most Popular Articles
Wal-Mart: Miss Thanksgiving, Get Xbox One + Master Chief Collection for $299
November 17, 2014, 9:40 PM
Nokia Lumia 635 LTE Windows Phone is Only $40 at Best Buy on Black Friday
November 18, 2014, 11:59 AM
Uber Exec Threatens to "Spend Millions" to Stalk Female Reporter and Her Family
November 19, 2014, 12:31 PM
Toyota’s Mirai Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Priced from $57,500 in the U.S.
November 18, 2014, 10:23 AM
Rand Paul Casts Crucial "No" Vote on Obama-Backed PATRIOT Act Renewal Bill
November 19, 2014, 5:15 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
Space Terrorism is a Looming Threat For the United States
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information