backtop


Print 9 comment(s) - last by ddh.. on Aug 20 at 4:58 PM


Fisker Karma  (Source: Fisker Automotive)
Fisker Automotive pinpoints the cause of the blaze with the help of an expert

Last week we reported that a second Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid/electric vehicle went up in flames outside a grocery store in California. At the time, an exact cause for the flare-up was not immediately available, but Fisker Automotive was adamant that the fire was not caused by the lithium-ion batteries, the powerful electric motors, or the front-mounted turbocharged gasoline engine that serves as a generator.
 
Today, Fisker Automotive announced the final results of an investigation into the incident that was conducted in conjunction with Pacific Rim Investigative Services Group. It was determine that cooling fan located ahead of the left front wheel had an internal fault that caused the blaze.
 
As a result, Fisker Automotive is initiating a voluntary recall on all Karma sedans sold to date to replace the fan and install an additional fuse.
 
“We are committed to responding swiftly and decisively to events such as this to ensure total customer satisfaction,” said Fisker Automotive Executive Chairman and Co-Founder, Henrik Fisker. “This incident resulted from a single, faulty component, not our unique EVer powertrain or the engineering of the Karma. As this situation demonstrates, Fisker Automotive is dedicated to doing whatever is necessary to address safety and quality concerns.”
 
Interestingly, Fisker Automotive also included a quote from the owner of the self-igniting Karma. “I have been incredibly impressed with the way Fisker has handled this incident," said Rudy Burger. "Fisker is a great company and one that I am personally planning to invest in. I look forward to getting behind the wheel of my next Fisker.”
 
Hopefully Mr. Burger will have better luck the second time around.

Source: Fisker Automotive



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

Strange engineering?
By Beenthere on 8/19/2012 11:15:05 AM , Rating: 2
Any electrical circuit in an auto should be fused so adding a second fuse is not the solution to this fan issue. Even with an "internal defect" which must have caused the fan to overheat, it should not catch fire. I think there is more to the story and or PPE involved. (PPE= Piss Poor Engineering).




"I modded down, down, down, and the flames went higher." -- Sven Olsen














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki