General Motors Rings Up Better Sales for Volt in June 2012, Nissan Leaf Sales Plummet
July 5, 2012 9:20 AM
comment(s) - last by
Volt sales continue to grow
General Motors has been pushing the Volt for well over a year as sales continue to rise and fall depending on the month. In March of 2012, GM
of the Volt due to weak demand. Production of the Volt was started back up in April of 2012,
earlier than expected
, thanks to an uptick in demand for the extended range electric vehicle.
General Motors has now announced that in June 2012 it sold 1,760 Volts, which is double what it sold in June 2011. So far in 2012 General Motors the sold 8,817 Volts, which adds up to more than three times the 2,745 Volts that it sold in the same period of 2011. In fact, so far in 2012 GM has sold more Volts than in all of 2011. Total Volts sales in 2011 were roughly 7,600 units.
General Motors continues to outsell its closest Japanese rival, the
by more than 3 to 1. That is no surprise considering the Leaf is a pure electric vehicle whereas the Volt has an
onboard generator that allows for a much longer driving distance
than the Leaf.
Compared to the Volt, sales of the Nissan Leaf plummeted 69% for June to 535 units. Nissan has only been able to sell 3,418 Leaf EV's so far in 2012, a decline of 19% over the same period 2011.
Nissan maintains that will sell 20,000 Leaf EVs in the US this year, but that seems far-fetched. Nissan would need to sell 2763 Leafs each month for the remainder of the year, which is more of the vehicles than Nissan has sold all year.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Ford Fusion FTW!
7/8/2012 8:00:50 AM
Your loss of respect for the Volt is only due to a lack of understanding on your part.
The direct engine coupling is controlled by the engine computer. A software change could disable the function and return the car functionality to the original design and performance, the way you prefer.
However the direct coupling design has almost nothing but advantages.
1) it improves efficiency (fuel economy) by bypassing the generator/charging/electric motor loop for driving the car in the regimes where it's advantageous to do so.
2) it increases available horsepower at passing speeds where the need for horsepower is the most critical( electric + ICE), thus improving acceleration performance at highway speeds.
The Volt still has all the characteristics of an all electric car. High Electric motor HP for good all electric performance, large battery capacity for reasonable range, Energy recapture on braking, etc.
The only drawbacks are in your preconceptions.
Your argument about different versions is not really valid:
1) no range extender cripples the car to 40 mile range only with minimal cost reduction. The range extender engine is not a large fraction of the Volt cost
2) replacing the range extender with extended batteries would bump the cost of the car up 10's of thousands of dollars. Considering the current sales rates almost nobody would buy that model. Also the volume in the car that would be made available by removing the range extender engine would not give you sufficient space to add sufficient battery capacity. A redesign of the car would be needed. Better to start from scratch with a new chassis.
3) Alternative fuels - Would severely limit where people could refuel the car and again would cripple the long range/ cross country driving capability. The whole point of the drive extender ICE is not restricting the driver to limited/scarce refueling points. Hydrogen is useless as there is essentially zero refueling infrastructure and virtually all hydrogen is produced by reforming natural gas, it offers no advantage efficiency, cost, or carbon wise.
The Volt is not supposed to be all things to all people. As poor as GM's reputation has become over the years and how much people like to bash the company (often deservedly) as an engineer I have become impressed with the Volt design and the engineers who designed it. It's a really smart piece of design and it's unfortunate to see people trashing it through ignorance.
I've overcome my own prejudices from rather dismal experiences working with Detroit companies and have become impressed with the Volt. I suggest you keep an open mind, at least in this case.
"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?... So why the f*** doesn't it do that?" -- Steve Jobs
2013 Chevy Volt's Battery Range Boosted to 38 Miles, Now Rated at 98 MPGe
June 7, 2012, 12:13 PM
GM: Chevrolet Volt Production to Restart Earlier Than Expected Due to Sales Uptick
April 6, 2012, 11:02 AM
Nissan Leaf to Get 25-Mile Range Boost in Cold Weather Due to New Heater Design
March 20, 2012, 1:32 PM
CBS: U.S., Israel Opened up Cyberwarfare "Pandora's Box" with Stuxnet
March 5, 2012, 5:37 PM
Hot Air? President Obama, G7 Pledge to Eliminate Most Fossil Fuel Use by 2100
June 8, 2015, 5:40 PM
Study Predicts Self-Driving Vehicles Could Rake in Billions
March 6, 2015, 8:34 AM
Dual-Motor Tesla Model S P85D's "Insane Mode" Shocks Passengers
January 28, 2015, 11:18 PM
2016 Cadillac CTS-V Packs 640 hp Punch with 200 mph Reach
January 23, 2015, 3:25 PM
BMW Testing Tech to Allow Users to Auto-Park, Summon Cars Via Smartwatch
December 16, 2014, 9:30 AM
Lamborghini Offers Up $6,000 Leather-Bound Android Smartphone
December 12, 2014, 3:12 PM
Most Popular Articles
Kentucky Man Faces up to 10 Years in Prison for Shooting Drone Trespasser
August 13, 2015, 2:58 PM
Windows 10 Hits 75 Million Users; Grows Nearly 4x as Fast as Windows 7
August 28, 2015, 10:22 PM
Best Buy Rapidly Ramps up Apple Watch Rollout After "Strong" Early Sales
August 26, 2015, 11:42 AM
Microsoft's Windows 10 Leaves Lumia 530 Behind w/ 8 GB Storage Requirement
August 25, 2015, 4:02 PM
Future of Lumia Uncertain as Microsoft Lays Off 2,300, Closes 1 of 3 Finnish Offices
August 24, 2015, 6:14 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2015 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information