Samsung Galaxy S III To Hit all Four Major U.S. Carriers Starting at $199 on June 21
June 4, 2012 9:48 AM
comment(s) - last by
US Cellular also gets in on the Galaxy S III action
If you're one of the many smartphone fans that have been waiting in anticipation for the
Samsung Galaxy S III
smartphones to land in the United States, it will be coming this month with some specifications that are a bit changed from the first time we talked about the smartphone.
Samsung has announced that the smartphone will be coming on all four major service providers in the United States. That means no matter if you're on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon, you will be able to get the smartphone starting this month. Even US Cellular customers are shown some love by Samsung. The phone will launch at $199 for the 16GB model and $249 for the 32GB model on all carriers June 21
“The U.S. launch of the Galaxy S III is the most anticipated launch of the year. As promised, we are delivering the ‘next big thing’ for U.S. customers and across all major carriers,” said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Telecommunications America. “Galaxy S III introduces new technological innovation and takes sharing to the next level.”
The S III boasts a 4.8-inch display with a thin bezel for maximum viewable area. The phone weighs 4.7 ounces and is 8.6 mm thick. The device supports 4G LTE connectivity for fast data and file transfers -- that is assuming the buyer is in an LTE covered area.
The S III introduces the next version of Samsung's content sharing service called AllShare Play. This technology allows the smartphone to automatically recognize other Samsung devices on the user's home network and remotely access files on those other devices. A Wi-Fi network is required for that feature to operate. The smartphone also supports easy sharing for images and uses S-Beam technology to directly share large files such as video and photographs between compatible devices.
The mobile phone runs the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system and has Samsung's TouchWiz user interface. The phone runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 1.5GHz dual core processor (Samsung announced a 1.4GHz quad-core Exynos SOC for world markets) with 2 GB of RAM. The Galaxy S III will be offered in marble white or pebble blue colors.
“The Galaxy S III is the most innovative smartphone on the market today. It is an industry first to see five major carriers align behind the launch of a single device virtually simultaneously,” said Todd Pendleton, Chief Marketing Officer for Samsung Telecommunications America. “To support the immense excitement for the Galaxy S III we will execute our biggest marketing campaign ever. Consumers won’t be able to miss why this device is the must-have smartphone.”
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Does anyone "wait" for a Samsung phone?
6/5/2012 2:45:46 PM
'techy guys' are exactly what they are "fake techy guys" and just that.. Im a Computer Engineer and Ill tell you my reasons why overall the Iphone4S and iOS are my Device + Platform of Choice:
1. When you buy Apple you get serviced by all their products. Its all one nicely knit ecosystem. Have an iPhone? You get Airplay, iTunes the Music Manager plus the Store (Music + Movies) , AppleTV, iBooks, iCloud, iMessage..etc. They are all interconnected and are all great services. No one company gives you all this. Their Laptop lines are considered the best as well. Look at what all the Tech Startups use - theres a reason why.
2. Because Android releases more devices and apple releases their "best" phone only 1x per year, by the end of the release cycle it may seem Android has better "marketing" specs on their phone. But this doesnt matter as they dont translate to realworld improvement, + a couple months later Apple always catches up with "real" better specs. These so called better specs that these android "fanboys" go ga-ga over are really BS.
16 Megapixel on your android phone? Really.. So is that why the 8Megapixel iPhone 4S camera is still the best? as proven by the review sites? Do your research fools..
on the CPU being better..So yea.. your Tegra Quadcore phone may be marginally faster then the iPhone. But let me guess, your daily workflow, On your Phone, consists of decoding/re-encoding bluray movies to x264 every day right? Yea.. sure.
On the Screen being too small? I agree on this.. 4" is the ideal size but not these monstrous display sized android phones which are only getting released to make money off people.. A phone is not a tablet its meant to be mobile, small and pocketable.. Feel free to buy these ginormous Display android phones. Ill just laugh at you as you struggle pulling out a mini-notebook sized phone out of your 1990's baggy sized jeans the next time we are in the club. Ill let you guys decide who gets the girl lol!
3. Apple supports you way more then android manufacturers through your ownership of your device. I have friends and plenty of people who have had simple issues with their iphone or any product. What do they do? They go to the apple store and exchange it for a new one all in 30 minutes and this nearly a year after having the phone! I challenge any and all you Android (Samsung, HTC, MOtorola ) people to do that. Id be surprised if they even let you exchange at all even after 2 months.
4. On the OS level? Can anyone explain to me why it took all the way to Android IceCream Sandwich to make the UI even remotely as smooth as Apples? Ill tell you why: Fragmentation.. Android is a one size fit all bloated coded OS that has to be written this way to FIT all Android Devices.. thats hundreds of models.. iOS? specifically designed for 3 products.. iPod, iPhone, iPad. Done. Software that is specifically designed for your intended hardware is always faster and better from many technical standpoints. Also can you guys please explain to me how after google released Ice Cream Sandwich plenty of Android phones were released without this OS? Not only that.. The consumer then has to buy an android phone and hope.. HOPE that their phone can be upgraded.. Can anyone say obsolete right after purchase? Can the Samsung Galaxy S2 please stand up?? Thank you.
5. Apps on iPhone are better than on Android.. Why? again.. read up on the fragmentation issue and how developers have to kill themselves to support as many android users as possible. When good apps come to android its after theyve been on the iPhone for a lonnng lonng time.. Instagram anyone?
6. Does anyone need more reasons.. Let me know.. Ill go on ALL DAY.
Apple iOS and the Apple iPhone.. My Favorite OS and Phone. Thank you.
RE: Does anyone "wait" for a Samsung phone?
6/5/2012 3:10:33 PM
oh - let me end by saying no disrespect to anyone. Even if it may seem that way in my previous post.. Your choice is your choice, we have better things to do then argue about phones. More choices is always better, so my previous post is hopefully to inform users about making the right choice for them :).
"Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town." -- Charlie Miller
Samsung's Galaxy S III Brings 4.8" HD Super AMOLED Display, Quad-Core Exynos
May 3, 2012, 2:55 PM
UK Teachers Want Parents to Cut-Off Their Children's Internet, Tablet Use at Night
April 17, 2014, 3:40 PM
Quick Note: Chrome Remote Desktop App for Android Launches
April 17, 2014, 9:26 AM
Report: Apple Plans to Integrate Shazam Song Finding Functionality into Siri
April 17, 2014, 9:15 AM
Bring Your Own Battery: LG Isai FL Likely is G3, First U.S. Quad-HD Android
April 16, 2014, 7:38 PM
Project Moonshine: Google's Plan to Flatten Android App Icons Leaks
April 16, 2014, 1:46 PM
Apple, Microsoft, and Major U.S. Wireless Carriers Embrace Smartphone "Kill Switch"
April 16, 2014, 10:08 AM
Most Popular Articles
Cities to Carpoolers: Sharing Your Car is Illegal, We Will Seize Your Cars
April 4, 2014, 9:17 PM
A-10 Warthog May Live to Fight Another Day with Support from Lawmakers
April 14, 2014, 9:41 AM
EFF: NSA May Have Used IRC Botnets to Exploit Heartbleed for Last Two Years
April 14, 2014, 4:43 PM
Quick Note: Toyota Attempts to Erase “Boring” Image with ’15 Camry SE Hybrid
April 16, 2014, 11:36 AM
A Bug's Life: Female Cave Bugs Have Penises, Penetrate Males for Three Days
April 17, 2014, 7:20 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Facebook Aims to Provide Internet to "Every Person in the World" with Drones, Satellites
Apr 1, 2014, 10:20 AM
Retail Mobile Sites Experience Outages in Light of Simplexity's Bankruptcy
Mar 14, 2014, 8:48 AM
Tesla vs. BMW: Who Has the Safer EV?
Feb 1, 2014, 2:56 PM
Justice Leaks Details of Next HTC One Two Flagship Phone
Dec 5, 2013, 4:04 PM
Global Cyber Espionage Concerns Reveal Growing Cyber Armies
Nov 29, 2013, 11:04 AM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information