Apple to Power All 3 U.S. Data Centers with Renewable Energy by Feb. 2013
May 18, 2012 10:58 AM
comment(s) - last by
Apple's latest green plans
Apple's latest green move is likely a response to Greenpeace's protests and poor reports of Apple's business practices when it comes to coal use
Apple plans to power its
Maiden, North Carolina data center
with 100 percent renewable energy this year, and will run its other data centers the same way by early 2013.
According to Apple's plan, which was announced today, none of its three data centers will use coal for power. Its three data centers include Maiden, North Carolina; Newark, California, and the one currently being built in Prineville, Oregon.
Instead, Apple will generate 60 percent of Maiden, North Carolina's facility itself through the use of fuel cells and a 100-acre solar farm nearby. In addition, Apple is wrapping up a purchase of a 150-acre site two miles away from the Maiden facility. The other 40 percent of power will come from renewable energy providers in the area. For instance, it will use solar panels from SunPower Corp., which is a San Jose, California-based company.
According to the tech giant, it will be able to generate 124 million kilowatt-hours of power per year when all of its current projects are finished.
"We are leading the industry," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple chief financial officer. "All three of our data centers will be coal free, which is an industry first for anybody of our size."
Apple plans to run all of its data centers on 100 percent renewable energy by February 2013.
Apple's latest green move
is likely a response to Greenpeace's protests and poor reports of Apple's business practices when it comes to coal use.
Apple received poor renewable energy scores
by independent environmental organization Greenpeace. According to Greenpeace,
Apple had the highest percentage for coal dependency out of all the other tech giants at 55.1 percent. It also had a fairly low Clean Energy Index percentage of 15.3 percent compared to others on the list. As far as scores go, Apple received a "D" for energy transparency, an "F" for infrastructure siting, a "D" for energy efficiency and GHG mitigation, and a "D" for renewables and advocacy.
More recently, Greenpeace has been holding protests against Apple's coal use in Cupertino, California as well as other locations.
Greenpeace has showed appreciation for Apple's announcement today.
"Apple's announcement today is a great sign that Apple is taking seriously the hundreds of thousands of its customers who have asked for
powered by clean energy, not dirty coal," said Gary Cook, an analyst at Greenpeace International.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
RE: Energy source
5/18/2012 1:23:20 PM
BRB, I need to go look up "users's".
"If they're going to pirate somebody, we want it to be us rather than somebody else." -- Microsoft Business Group President Jeff Raikes
Greenpeace Gives Apple Poor Renewable Energy Scores for iCloud Data Center
April 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
German Court Upholds Apple iCloud, MobileMe Ban
April 13, 2012, 2:31 PM
Apple Report Describes New 100-Acre, 20-Megawatt Data Center in North Carolina As Largest in U.S.
February 21, 2012, 9:30 AM
Greenpeace Slams Apple Over "World's Greenest Family of Notebooks" Claim
December 1, 2008, 12:11 AM
Creationists are Mad About Google Doodle Depicting Evolution
November 24, 2015, 8:48 PM
DHS and TSA: Whoops, We Missed That 73 Airport Employees May be Terrorists
November 19, 2015, 2:16 PM
Star Wars Spinoff Film "Rogue One", Theme Park Attractions Announced
August 17, 2015, 12:20 PM
SpaceX Falcon 9's Seventh Supply Mission to ISS Ends w/ Fiery Stage 1 Explosion
June 28, 2015, 1:10 PM
Cool Science Video: Glowing Millipede Prowls the Nevada Desert
May 18, 2015, 12:00 PM
Newly Discovered Costa Rican Glass Frog is Kermit's Doppelgänger
April 22, 2015, 11:26 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information