Print 60 comment(s) - last by The Raven.. on Mar 18 at 11:03 AM

Sells ten times faster than the original iPad

According to Reuters, Apple's iPad 2 sold one million units in its launch weekend, surpassing the milestone almost 10 times as fast as its predecessor. 

The iPad 2 went on sale last Friday at Apple, Verizon, and AT&T stores, as well as Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy. Large crowds were reported across the United States, with more than 500 people queued up at Apple's flagship San Francisco store and roughly another 800 at its Manhattan location. The crowds even attracted gawkers.

"Our field checks over the weekend indicate that the iPad 2 sold out at every Apple and non-Apple store we contacted," Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White wrote in a research note. "In fact, all the stores had worked through iPad 2 inventory by Saturday afternoon, and there were no new iPad 2 deliveries on Sunday."

White told Reuters that the iPad 2 could potentially have sold one million units in its first weekend, a feat that took 28 days for the original when it hit the market last year. Wedbush Securities analyst Scott Sutherland echoed White's prediction.

With the launch, Apple appears to have secured its number one spot in the tablet market for the time being, cooling the momentum that tablets from other manufacturers such as Motorola and Samsung were beginning to gain.

Apple is expected to retain 61 percent of the lucrative tablet market for 2011, according J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moscowitz. According to Moscowitz, other companies will have trouble attracting customers the way Apple has.

The iPad 2 is set to launch worldwide on March 25.

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: Will never catch on
By sxr7171 on 3/14/2011 3:38:22 PM , Rating: 1
Mark my words. In 5 years 90% of consumers will need only a tablet. The other 10% will use a laptop for getting things done, creating content etc. Most consumers are just that - consumers of media/data/content. Add cloud computing to the equation and there is no "it remains to be seen". It just will be.

RE: Will never catch on
By bupkus on 3/14/2011 3:55:29 PM , Rating: 2
Ok, Nostradamus, time for your pudding.

RE: Will never catch on
By Azethoth on 3/14/2011 9:38:31 PM , Rating: 2
Yeah and make that delicious chocolate pudding.

We really are looking at the post PC wave of devices. I find some apps on the iPad to be relevant and useful in a way they will never be on a PC nor on laptops / notebooks.

Once a particular app crystallizes with good UI on a smartphone / pad it is game over for going back to a PC for that app.

RE: Will never catch on
By B3an on 3/15/2011 8:59:32 AM , Rating: 2
There will always be PC's. People who do real work could never possibly use a tablet for anything but the most basic of tasks.
Theres digital imaging, design, 3D, CAD, rendering, game design, hardcore gamers, business, scientific, and tons of other areas that need the power of a PC, the hardware, the versatility, peripherals/options. All the people in these areas add up to a large portion of the market.

How can a device with a couple of USB ports, tiny screen, no keyboard/mouse, and pathetically under powered hardware (for these types of things) possibly be used for this stuff. Even my 4GHz 980X system with 24GB RAM is not fast enough for my rendering work.

Then theres people like yourself, and for you a tablet may be a good option, but dont fool yourself that it's for everyone, will replace PC, or could even remotely compete in many areas.

“We do believe we have a moral responsibility to keep porn off the iPhone.” -- Steve Jobs

Latest Headlines
Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs
September 25, 2016, 9:00 AM
The Samsung Galaxy S7
September 14, 2016, 6:00 AM
Apple Watch 2 – Coming September 7th
September 3, 2016, 6:30 AM
Apple says “See you on the 7th.”
September 1, 2016, 6:30 AM

Most Popular ArticlesAre you ready for this ? HyperDrive Aircraft
September 24, 2016, 9:29 AM
Leaked – Samsung S8 is a Dream and a Dream 2
September 25, 2016, 8:00 AM
Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs
September 25, 2016, 9:00 AM
Snapchat’s New Sunglasses are a Spectacle – No Pun Intended
September 24, 2016, 9:02 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki