Print 38 comment(s) - last by EricMartello.. on Sep 16 at 5:11 AM

Antibiotics in cockroach brains could treat MSRA and E-Coli

A troublesome household pest could soon provide healthy benefits to humans. Tissue from the brains and nervous systems of the common cockroach contain bacteria fighting properties that may help banish serious infections. As a result, “superbugs” like MRSA and E-Coli can be destroyed more than 90 percent of the time without damaging human cells. 

Researchers from the School of Veterinary Medicine at the UK's University of Nottingham identified up to nine different molecules in the tissue of cockroaches and locusts that were toxic to bacteria.

The team of scientists has discovered that the bugs secrete their own antimicrobials and is currently studying specific properties of the antibacterial molecules. 

Simon Lee, a postgraduate researcher and Dr. Dr Naveed Khan, an Associate Professor of Molecular Microbiology, presented their findings at the Society for General Microbiology’s meeting this week according to

"Insects often live in unsanitary and unhygienic environments where they encounter many different types of bacteria. It is therefore logical that they have developed ways of protecting themselves against micro-organisms," said Lee.

The potency of the antibacterial molecules found in these insects are now being tested on various superbugs including Acinetobacter, Pseudomonas and Burkholderia. 

"We hope that these molecules could eventually be developed into treatments for E. coli and MRSA infections that are increasingly resistant to current drugs. These new antibiotics could potentially provide alternatives to currently available drugs that may be effective but have serious and unwanted side effects."

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

By stusan on 9/8/2010 2:51:57 PM , Rating: 3
So, Science has found a new antibiotic from the brains of cockroaches and locusts that works against nasty "superbugs" MSRA and some types of E. coli. Win!

And when these superbugs adapt to the new antibiotic, Science will have a new weapon for use against cockroaches and locusts.


I'm not sure where the people fit into all this. The main point, though, is that Science Marches On!

RE: Win/Win?
By FaceMaster on 9/8/2010 7:58:16 PM , Rating: 2
“superbugs” like MRSA and E-Coli can be destroyed more than 90 percent of the time without damaging human cells.

I'm just concerned about the other 10% of cases where the human cells were damaged as well!

RE: Win/Win?
By Fritzr on 9/8/2010 8:01:48 PM , Rating: 2
I to saw that 90% kill rate. That leaves 10% of "New&Improved Drug" resistant bacteria to produce the next generation of drug fighters.

Isn't that how we got to MRSA superbugs in the first place?

RE: Win/Win?
By shiftypy on 9/9/2010 3:46:31 AM , Rating: 2
More likely injection of cockroach brain tissue (...yeah...) just created an inflammation in human tissue without affecting the infection. So those Ecoli have no resistance, yet.

"I'm an Internet expert too. It's all right to wire the industrial zone only, but there are many problems if other regions of the North are wired." -- North Korean Supreme Commander Kim Jong-il

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki