Print 92 comment(s) - last by rdeegvainl.. on Sep 7 at 12:00 AM

MOH banned from sale on base PXs  (Source: Kotaku)
Multiplayer Taliban characters are the cause of the ban

Video games are a huge business and one of the most popular genres in the market are first person shooters. These games generate billions of dollars each year for the video game industry and have sparked harsh criticism at times because of the violent content of the games.

The latest game to come under fire is the upcoming shooter from EA called
Medal of Honor. Surprisingly, the game hasn't come under fire from the typical groups that oppose violent video games, but the U.S. military. 

Kotaku reports that the Army and Air Force Exchange Services has confirmed to it that they have demanded that the upcoming Medal of Honor game to be pulled from the 49 different GameStop locations that are located on army bases within America. The ban also extends to all stores selling the game on military Post Exchanges [PXs] globally. The reason the game has been withdrawn from PX shelves is that the multiplayer aspect of the game allow players to play as Taliban fighters.

An email from GameStop
Kotaku received states:

GameStop has agreed out of respect for our past and present men and women in uniform we will not carry Medal of Honor in any of our AAFES based stores... As such, GameStop agreed to have all marketing material pulled by noon today and to stop taking reservations. Customers who enter our AAFES stores and wish to reserve Medal of Honor can and should be directed to the nearest GameStop location off base. GameStop fully supports AAFES in this endeavor and is sensitive to the fact that in multiplayer mode one side will assume the role of Taliban fighter.

Apparently, the game is not banned from play by military personnel and is not banned from the base altogether; the game simply isn’t allowed to be sold on base. Military personnel can buy it off base and play it at the base. There has been no official comment by EA on the issue so far.

Another first person shooter franchise set to get a new installment soon is Call of Duty with Activision putting the largest marketing campaign it has ever undertaken behind the new title in the franchise called Black Ops.

Comments     Threshold

This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: So....
By Master Kenobi on 9/3/2010 6:56:05 PM , Rating: 3
Rangers might lead the way but Intel is always out front.

RE: So....
By Ammohunt on 9/4/2010 12:04:08 AM , Rating: 2
Not without fire support...Artillery King of battle!

RE: So....
By lyeoh on 9/5/2010 2:31:22 PM , Rating: 3
The leaders should lead the way. We should put the leaders on the frontline. Not in actual military action, but in spirit.

Basically if any leader proposes an _offensive_ military action or starting a war by other means (not defensive, defense is different), a referendum is held, if not enough citizens want a war, the proposing leaders all get put on a Death Row.

Then at a convenient time other referendums are held to see if the citizens still want each of those leaders alive. If there aren't enough votes for a leader that leader is executed.

This to me is the fairest way for starting wars. This way even psychopathic leaders would think twice about starting wars. No crocodile tears about sending our youth to die... And soldiers and civilians will know that the leaders are willing to put their own lives on the line too.

Equally important, the defending side and the rest of the world will know that (say) 70% of the attackers (civilians included) wanted the war. So killing them all (civilians included) in defense by whatever means is justified (as long as you don't touch the other countries). If the attackers think 30% collateral damage is too high they should make the referendum margin higher. The defense could first try to convince the prospective attackers to not bother voting in the referendum and avoid the war in the first place.

This way if the people don't want a war they don't get one, if they really want a war, they really get a war.

Yes I'm serious. War is very serious. People die in wars. On both sides and often even in sides that are supposedly not involved.

"We can't expect users to use common sense. That would eliminate the need for all sorts of legislation, committees, oversight and lawyers." -- Christopher Jennings

Most Popular ArticlesAre you ready for this ? HyperDrive Aircraft
September 24, 2016, 9:29 AM
Leaked – Samsung S8 is a Dream and a Dream 2
September 25, 2016, 8:00 AM
Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs
September 25, 2016, 9:00 AM
Snapchat’s New Sunglasses are a Spectacle – No Pun Intended
September 24, 2016, 9:02 AM
Walmart may get "Robot Shopping Carts?"
September 17, 2016, 6:01 AM

Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki