backtop


Print 59 comment(s) - last by UrbanBard.. on May 9 at 2:31 PM


Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch
So long, farewell! Adobe cuts its losses and moves on to other mobile platforms

Well, it looks like it's the end of the road for any hopes of Adobe Flash on Apple's iPhone OS-based devices (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad). Although Steve Jobs has long since put his foot down regarding the matter, Adobe still held out hope that Jobs would change his mind.

However, those hopes were dashed earlier this month when Apple's iPhone OS 4.0 SDK banned the use of unapproved programming languages (including Adobe Flash). The move by Apple prompted some rather colorful language from Adobe Platform Evangelist Lee Brimelow.

Steve Jobs poured more salt on the wounds yesterday with an open letter that basically said that Adobe Flash's time has come and gone. "Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs," said Jobs "But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short."

It appears that Adobe has gotten the hint, and is now officially dropping its plans to push Flash Player onto the iPhone OS platform. Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch posted a response to Steve Jobs' rant -- Adobe's President and CEO made comments as well -- and still feels that Adobe could provide a "terrific experience" on the iPhone and iPad. However, the writing is on the wall and Lynch says that Adobe is shifting its energies to other mobile platforms.

“We have already decided to shift our focus away from Apple devices for both Flash Player and AIR," said Lynch. "We are working to bring Flash Player and AIR to all the other major participants in the mobile ecosystem, including Google, RIM, Palm (soon to be HP), Microsoft, Nokia and others.”

Lynch also said that there will be a public preview of Flash Player 10.1 for Android devices in May and that a full release will come the following month.



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

Adobe 64 bit
By knowom on 4/30/2010 1:54:29 PM , Rating: 2
Adobe needs to hurry up and add 64 bit support for mac and windows end of discussion it's absurd that they continue to ignore it.




RE: Adobe 64 bit
By UrbanBard on 4/30/2010 2:19:07 PM , Rating: 2
Adobe has created three of its Apps in CS5 in 64 bit. Photoshop is one, but I forgot the other two. The rest will take Adobe a year or two.

90 percent of Mac applications will be migrated to 64 bit code this year. The other 10% will remain in 32 bit because there is little reason to move them until the Carbon API's go away in five years.

Windows will have a much hard migration to 64 bit.


"I'm an Internet expert too. It's all right to wire the industrial zone only, but there are many problems if other regions of the North are wired." -- North Korean Supreme Commander Kim Jong-il














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki