backtop


Print 32 comment(s) - last by rcc.. on Feb 6 at 4:19 PM

Freshly-charged battery thought to be culprit.

A Chinese man has died after an exploding cell phone apparently severed his carotid artery, according to reports from China. The local Chinese paper Shin Min Daily is reporting on the victim, thought to be a computer shop clerk in his twenties.

One of the man's coworkers said both were in the store together, when she heard a loud bang, and turned to find the victim lying in a pool of blood. The man had apparently just finished charging the phone and placed it in his shirt pocket.

The make and model of the phone were not reported. Police are said to be investigating whether the cell phone or the battery were counterfeit.

Motorola and Nokia have in the past denied links to problem batteries in China.

This is said to be the ninth such cell phone explosion in China since 2002, including one last year which killed an iron worker in Gansu province.

There have been several other reports of people killed by cell phone explosions, in nations ranging from Ghana to South Korea.



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

you guys really have faith on media
By machop on 2/3/2009 1:07:52 PM , Rating: 2
be it Chinese media or western media. They are not 100% accurate. They carry unverified, faked, biased stories all the time.

In this case, the latest development is that man has a self-made explosive thing in his pocket that caused this incident. Not killed by "Made in China cell-phone batteries".




By superkdogg on 2/3/2009 3:30:38 PM , Rating: 2
Wow, the "Chinese Government Hard at Work" guy was right.


RE: you guys really have faith on media
By GeorgeH on 2/3/2009 6:09:35 PM , Rating: 2
About this "latest development" - where does it come from, exactly, if not that that same "biased" media? Magical flying dragons, perhaps?

Why would the man be walking around with a tiny self-made explosive in his pocket, especially one that is primed and ready to detonate? Don't you find it slightly convenient that this "news" obviates everyone but the dead man of responsibility? The next time the Chinese Ministry of B.S. and Cover-ups makes up a story, I hope they'll at least come up with something believable.


By machop on 2/4/2009 12:40:43 PM , Rating: 2
I am one of co-workers of that poor guy.
Poor George, you must really believe whatever you were told by your government!


"I mean, if you wanna break down someone's door, why don't you start with AT&T, for God sakes? They make your amazing phone unusable as a phone!" -- Jon Stewart on Apple and the iPhone











botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki