backtop


Print 71 comment(s) - last by mvpx02.. on Dec 3 at 2:36 PM


Greenpeace is not impressed by the claims of Apple CEO Steve Jobs that his MacBooks are "the greenest line of notebooks" in the country.  (Source: Apple)
Worker harder, Jobs, if you want our lovin' say ecoactivists

Every season seems to bring new claims by Cupertino's Apple Corp. of its leaps-and-bounds advances in being more environmentally friendly.  And every season brings a scathing report from Greenpeace on how far the company has yet to grow.

Perhaps Steve Jobs and company were tempting fate when Apple announced in a recent series of ads that the MacBooks were "the world's greenest family of notebooks", referencing their power saving use of Intel processors and their halogen and plastic free construction.  Unsurprisingly, Greenpeace was there to punch a hole in Apple's dreams as it delivered its environmental report card full of less-than-glowing things to say about Apple's big claims.

While Apple deserves credit for eliminating brominated flame-retardants (BFRs) and other toxic plastics and managing relatively low power consumption, Greenpeace says the company's lack of providing a timeline in phasing out other potentially harmful compounds used in the laptops and their production is one of its key problems.  Another significant shortcoming is Apple's failure to create environmental impact reports and tackle the problem of tech trash, it states.

Greenpeace gives Apple a failing rating -- 4.3 out of 10 (PDF).  Writes Greenpeace, "[Apple]needs to commit to phasing out additional substances with timelines, improve its policy on chemicals and its reporting on chemicals management."

Apple's spokesperson declined to comment on the criticism, saying merely that customers should check out the "Apple and the Environment" section of the company's website if they want information on the company's environmental policy.



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

By Entropy78 on 12/1/2008 2:27:54 AM , Rating: 2
If they want to significantly reduce carbon footprint, they have to focus more on the manufacturing stage of the notebook. Some research has already pointed out that up to 85 % of all greenhouse gas emissions occur during manufacturing of computers and its components, while the remaining 15 % actually occur during the use stage (i.e. CO2 emission as a result from electrical energy consumption).

And I don't believe that carving out the body of a laptop out of a single brick of aluminium isn't going to help in reducing energy consumption during the manufacturing stage either...


"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn." -- Seagate CEO Bill Watkins

Related Articles
The Case Against Chemical Flame Retardants
October 31, 2008, 8:36 AM
Greenpeace Gives Macbook Air "B-"
January 18, 2008, 2:11 PM
Greenpeace Deems iPhone "Toxic"
October 16, 2007, 9:04 AM













botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki