backtop


Print 45 comment(s) - last by Darkskypoet.. on Mar 19 at 11:01 PM

Full of promises about saving the Earth and conserving energy, could automakers and visionaries be missing one big thing?





Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

RE: Steam
By Fridayalex on 3/12/2008 11:52:12 AM , Rating: 2
quote:
I think this whole "concern" is ridiculous. Even if we do consume more water, the Earth is made up of over 70% water; I doubt we'll run out anytime soon.


I take it they will need fresh water to run on. The oceans contain 97 % of the earth's water while the remaining 3 % is classified as freshwater. Seventy-seven percent of this surface freshwater is stored as ice and 22% as groundwater and soil moisture. The remaining freshwater, making up less than 1 % of the world total, is contained in lakes, rivers and wetlands. I can see how this might eat into what fresh water is left.


RE: Steam
By Spivonious on 3/12/2008 12:05:24 PM , Rating: 2
True, but wasn't there an article on here recently about wind-powered desalinization?


RE: Steam
By Hoser McMoose on 3/13/2008 2:50:09 AM , Rating: 2
quote:
I take it they will need fresh water to run on.

Nope, an awful lot of power generation makes use of sea water for cooling purposes. Obviously though this is dependent on location.

At least one power plant in Arizona makes use of treated sewage water for it's cooling needs, a rather nifty solution.


"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it." -- SCEA President Jack Tretton













botimage
Copyright 2016 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki