backtop


Print 33 comment(s) - last by meesohonee.. on Mar 5 at 11:32 PM


A burnt PSP shell shows the damage from the exploding battery.  (Source: ClickOnDetroit.com)
Minor injuries sustained in lithium fire

Rather than let Apple corner the "flaming personal entertainment device" market, a Sony PlayStation Portable has caught fire while in the pocket of a middle-school student in Michigan.

According to the report from Warner Middle School
, the fire occurred at approximately 9:00 AM this morning, when the battery of the PSP apparently overheated and exploded, causing a lithium fire. The fire burned a hole in the student's pants and caused minor burns to his leg.

The school was placed on lockdown in order to allow emergency personnel to enter the building and administer first aid, and the child was taken to a local hospital for further treatment. Police are undergoing an official investigation -- it is not known at this time if the PSP was on when the explosion occurred.

While lithium battery fires have been big news of late, including new restrictions on air travel on January 1st, the major suspects have been laptop computers, due to the larger-capacity cells used -- but the probability of a portable game system to be carried by a child may cause some parents to consider extra precautions.


Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

By mdogs444 on 2/7/2008 9:33:31 AM , Rating: 3
But as always - you only take what the person filing the report "says" with a grain of salt. Just because they claim something, does not make it factual.

However, even if it was on, it still should not have caught fire in his pocket.


By Chris Peredun on 2/7/2008 9:51:06 AM , Rating: 2
There was a bit of a time-delay between the writing and posting of this article - that information was not available at the time.

Also, remember that the PSP has a "sleep" mode, where it consumes very little power but is still technically "on."


RE: The PSP was off at the time of the incident...
By TomZ on 2/7/2008 1:35:54 PM , Rating: 2
Being "on" or "off" is probably irrelevant. In order to catch fire, there would have to be an electrical short which could happen with the device on or off. The short could be even in the battery itself, which was the case with many of the laptop batteries that caught fire.


By mindless1 on 2/7/2008 9:57:29 PM , Rating: 2
Or a failure of the battery container. A properly designed device using Li-Ion should always have an internal fuse or switched circuit (if not in the pack itself) so a short external to the battery pack should not cause failure / fire.


"I'm an Internet expert too. It's all right to wire the industrial zone only, but there are many problems if other regions of the North are wired." -- North Korean Supreme Commander Kim Jong-il

Related Articles
















botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki