Desktops Soon to Ship With 8TB of Storage
March 1, 2006 4:33 PM
comment(s) - last by
Just a few years ago, a 1GB HD set me back nearly $900
Memory has always been a sticker for Windows upgrades. Each time Microsoft prepares for an OS release, memory and storage companies wait in anticipation because more memory is always required. Industry insiders however, predict that with Windows Vista, memory will not play as big of a role as it has been for the last several years. Instead, storage capacity will be the number one concern.
With HD video, music, and saving broadcasts to disk becoming ever popular, this trend wouldn't be much of a surprise. Hard drives of all types have become extremely affordable and knowing Windows, hard drive capacity requirements will always be high. Despite this, manufacturers are beginning to build systems that offer capacities in excess of 500GB with some systems shipping with over 1TB off the shelf.
In an interview with Voodoo PC
, the manufacturer says that it may begin to ship systems with up to 8TB of storage, possibly with a sticker price of $8,000 to $9,000.
This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled
3/2/2006 6:48:24 AM
$350 500GB HDs * 16 = $5600
1. How exactly are you going to connect these HDs? With normal motherboard (2 ATA channel, 4 SATA ports) you can connect 6 HDs easily (assuming that you put only one HD/ATA channel, otherwise performance will suffer). This means that you will have to find a way to how to connect rest 10 HDs. Since number of expansion slots will be limited, you might have to buy 4 port SATA controller cards which aren't cheap.
2. Where will you put them? I don't think that even a full ATX tower has a space for 16HDs.
3. You will need an extra power supply or two for those 16 HDs.
Building 8TB storage system isn't very easy or cheap currently. There will be a lot of extra costs in addition to the cost of HDs.
3/2/2006 7:53:11 AM
1. A "high-class" mobo has 8 sata-ports, and 4 pata, that means 1 extra controller, and although they aren't cheap compared to a mobo, they aren't overly expensive either, I don't know US prices, but 50$ maybe?
2. Bigger towers has space enough for 16 discs, (CM stacker for instance).
3. Do you? My fileserver has a single 480 watt, and 10 disks, with a bit bigger CPU i would guess you can do fine with 1. I saw a guy with 51 disks, he used 3 PSUs.
If you just think you purchase through, and by a solid an big tower, with a solid PSU, ir reasonably easy, but it is pretty expensive, I'll give you that :)
3/7/2006 7:59:17 PM
Of course sata hd's don't even have to be in the same case really.
"Google fired a shot heard 'round the world, and now a second American company has answered the call to defend the rights of the Chinese people." -- Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-N.J.)
Hackers Steal Roughly $1 Billion From Banks Using Malware RAT
February 17, 2015, 9:30 AM
NVIDIA Kills Mobile GPU Overclocking, Robs Customers Who Paid For It
February 16, 2015, 8:59 AM
Apple Offers Refurbished 5K Retina iMacs for $2,119 Online
January 16, 2015, 12:37 PM
SanDisk Unveils Pricey iXpand USB 2.0/Lightning Drive to Expand iPhone, iPad Storage
November 13, 2014, 2:29 PM
HP's 15.6" Omen Gaming Laptop is Incredibly Thin, Powerful
November 4, 2014, 10:34 AM
Tim Cook Touts Apple’s Product Portfolio, Performance in Letter to Employees
October 21, 2014, 8:05 AM
Most Popular Articles
Google Steps up Snub of Adobe Flash, Auto-Converting Flash Ads to HTML5
February 25, 2015, 6:16 PM
FCC Bans Data Discrimination, Defies Comcast, Adopting Net Neutrality Regulation
February 26, 2015, 4:03 PM
Windows 10 Adds USB 3.1 for Dual-Role Peripherals, External Display Support
February 27, 2015, 11:39 AM
StarDock Unveils Start10 Start Menu Replacement for Windows 10
February 25, 2015, 11:24 AM
Google Preps Pixel 2 ChromeBook, New X Server Replacement "Freon"
February 24, 2015, 11:12 PM
Latest Blog Posts
Sceptre Airs 27", 120 Hz. 1080p Monitor/HDTV w/ 5 ms Response Time for $220
Dec 3, 2014, 10:32 PM
Costco Gives Employees Thanksgiving Off; Wal-Mart Leads "Black Thursday" Charge
Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 PM
"Bear Selfies" Fad Could Turn Deadly, Warn Nevada Wildlife Officials
Oct 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
The Surface Mini That Was Never Released Gets "Hands On" Treatment
Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 AM
ISIS Imposes Ban on Teaching Evolution in Iraq
Sep 17, 2014, 5:22 PM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2015 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information