backtop


Print 7 comment(s) - last by Chuckles.. on May 1 at 3:44 PM

Yahoo! ups the stakes in online advertising

Yahoo! is upping the stakes in the online advertising arena by taking its 20 percent stake in Right Media (purchased in October of 2006) to full ownership. The company paid $680 million USD in cash for the remaining 80 percent of Right Media.

"The acquisition of Right Media will further Yahoo!'s goal to create the industry's most open, accessible and vibrant advertising marketplace, which will help democratize the buying and selling of digitally enabled advertising," said Yahoo! chairman and CEO Terry Semel. "This acquisition is an important step in our long-term vision to build the industry's leading advertising and publisher ecosystem. We believe that Yahoo!'s open approach is a clear differentiator from others in the industry and provides significant benefits to advertisers, publishers and Yahoo! itself."

"We share Yahoo!'s vision of a more empowered marketplace, where efficiency, transparency and accountability in online advertising become the norm," said Right Media CEO and founder Michael Walrath. "We are very excited by the prospect of becoming part of Yahoo!, the market leader in display advertising, as it looks to revolutionize the media buying and selling landscape."

Right Media allows advertisers and online publishers to interact in online ad sales in a manner similar to eBay. Participants are able to make direct transactions with one another at fair market value.

Yahoo! is doing its best to keep up with search leader Google. Google has seen its earnings skyrocket on a continual basis while Yahoo! has floundered a bit in the marketplace. Google announced earlier this month that it had agreed to purchase DoubleClick for $3.1 billion USD in cash. Google also recently announced a partnership with EchoStar on TV advertising.



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

Put some real meaning in a statement.
By rdeegvainl on 5/1/2007 11:56:25 AM , Rating: 2
"We believe that Yahoo!'s open approach is a clear differentiator from others in the industry and provides significant benefits to advertisers, publishers and Yahoo! itself."
How is it open?
How does that differentiate?
Who are the others?
What are the benifits?

I'm not here to Rag on Yahoo!, but the whole statement seems very vague, kinda like every other statement I read about these sort of things. Seems like the norm is to try and through in a few buzz words and agree with everything that is happening.




By KaiserCSS on 5/1/2007 12:01:31 PM , Rating: 2
... and this is different from any other statement from any other company how?

Come on now, this isn't exactly a new trend. Vague statements are pretty mainstream in the business world.


By timmiser on 5/1/2007 12:05:35 PM , Rating: 2
The comment is not there to explain to you the detailed benefits of the Yahoo purchase it is merely listing the reason why Yahoo believes it will benefit from the purchase. It's just a press release, it's not a white paper!


RE: Put some real meaning in a statement.
By TomZ on 5/1/2007 12:23:43 PM , Rating: 1
The real reason they're buying is because Google is buying. And since Google is buying, there must be "some good reason" to be out buying.


By donttrustme on 5/1/2007 2:34:33 PM , Rating: 3
"This acquisition is an important step in our long-term vision to build the industry's leading advertising and publisher ecosystem. We believe that Yahoo!'s open approach is a clear differentiator from others in the industry and provides significant benefits to advertisers, publishers and Yahoo! itself."

Why can't they jus say that they want to get a good return on advertisments?


RE: Put some real meaning in a statement.
By wrekd on 5/1/2007 3:25:25 PM , Rating: 3
quote:
...which will help democratize the buying and selling of digitally enabled advertising...


I'm not even sure what this part of the statement is trying to get at.

democratize buying and selling

Nope. I'm not even close on this one.


By Chuckles on 5/1/2007 3:44:50 PM , Rating: 1
Don't think to much on it. It exists (as well as about half the stuff in there) for buzzword compliance.


"You can bet that Sony built a long-term business plan about being successful in Japan and that business plan is crumbling." -- Peter Moore, 24 hours before his Microsoft resignation

Related Articles













botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki