backtop


Print



Lenovo then and now, ripped from internal documentation
Lenovo might not be all you think it is

I am not usually one to chime in about political matters, but I have been following the Lenovo-US Government debate for some time.  Last week we published an article with regard to the percentages of state shareholders in the company.  As of June 2006, the exact shareholder percentages (according to Lenovo internal documentation) are as follows:

  • Public shareholders 34.7%
  • Legend Holdings Limited 42.0%
  • IBM 13.2%
  • Texas Pacific Group, General Atlantic LLC and Newbridge Capital LLC 10.1%

Legend Holdings, as many of us know, is the parent company for Lenovo.  65% of Legend Holdings is owned by The Chinese Academy of Sciences and the other 35% is owned by the  Employee Shareholding Society of Legend Holdings.  Make no mistake, Legend Holdings is a state owned enterprise (SOE).  For all intents and purposes, the Chinese Academy of Sciences -- a Chinese governmental office -- indirectly controls 27.3% of Lenovo through Legend Holdings. 

That's not to say the Chinese government only controls 27.3% of Lenovo.  34.7% of Lenovo and 35% of Legend Holdings are held by private investors and employees -- some of which are government officials. 

Regardless, should the rest of the world be intimated by Lenovo?  Considering the company had revenue in 2005 of $13.3B USD with a net profit of $309M USD, I'd say so.  Am I worried about my Lenovo laptop containing an electronic surveillance device that emails my passwords to the Chinese government?  Lenovo did more than $3B USD worth of business with the US last year, and it would only take one incident of a bugged Lenovo product to virtually wipe that number to zero overnight.  Quite frankly, I think the Politburo is more interested in driving BMWs than reading my email.





"When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." -- Sony BMG attorney Jennifer Pariser
Related Articles






Latest Headlines
This Can / May Satisfy the Movie lovers
February 19, 2017, 9:52 AM
AMD Offers
February 17, 2017, 6:01 AM
Selective Desktop Computers
February 10, 2017, 6:25 AM
Desktop or laptop is recommended
February 7, 2017, 10:51 AM




Latest Blog Posts
Around the World
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 18, 2017, 5:48 AM
News of Future
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 17, 2017, 6:30 AM
Some News
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 14, 2017, 5:36 AM
What's New?
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 10, 2017, 6:15 AM
Unleashed News
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 9, 2017, 6:00 AM
Eye catching news
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 8, 2017, 6:16 AM
Some World News
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 7, 2017, 6:15 AM
Today’s news
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 6, 2017, 10:11 AM
Some News
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 5, 2017, 7:27 AM
Notes and News
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 4, 2017, 5:53 AM
World News
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 3, 2017, 5:30 AM
Gadget News
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 2, 2017, 7:00 AM
News Around The World.
Saimin Nidarson - Feb 1, 2017, 7:20 AM
Some News
Saimin Nidarson - Jan 31, 2017, 7:57 AM
Tips of Today
Saimin Nidarson - Jan 30, 2017, 6:53 AM
What is new?
Saimin Nidarson - Jan 29, 2017, 6:26 AM






botimage
Copyright 2017 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki