backtop


Print 67 comment(s) - last by FaceMaster.. on May 8 at 4:45 AM


  (Source: What They Play)
Act of love more offensive than severed human heads, reports poll

Believe it or not, the choice between taking life or creating life is one that is very unclear to parents. In a poll on parent-oriented gaming site What They Play, respondents were asked to pick from a choice of four what they found the most offensive in a video game.

The four choices offered were: a graphically severed human head; a man and a woman having sex; multiple use of the F-word; or two men kissing.

Perhaps as a strange demonstration of social values, those who voted in the poll reported that sexual matters of any sort were more offensive than explicit violence or profanity. The leading pick as the most offensive act in video game was “a man and woman having sex” at 37 percent. Off second place with 27 percent was “two men kissing.”

Next in second last place with 26 percent was the anti-violence answer of “a graphically severed human head.” In a distant fourth was “multiple use of the F-word.”

Informed parents are the best defence against exposure of inappropriate material to children, though it appears that many are more concerned about sexual matters than graphic violence.

Susan Arendt of Game|Life shared the story of an encounter she once had in a game store: “A woman was trying to buy her 12-year old daughter some games for Christmas, and overhearing me talking about games, asked me for advice. She picked up one of the Resident Evils and asked me if it was any good. I told her that it was an excellent game, but quite violent and scary. ‘Oh, that's no problem,’ she replied. ‘But there's no, you know, people having relations in it, is there?’



Comments     Threshold


This article is over a month old, voting and posting comments is disabled

A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By AzureKevin on 4/11/2008 5:28:03 PM , Rating: 5
This example is reflected not only in video games, but society in general. We spends millions, maybe billions of dollars on weapons development and the military. We glorify war, violence, and killing in movies and TV shows. Meanwhile, sex is taboo, and anything that has even a hint of sex is often considered sleazy, immoral, or just plain wrong. We've completely disregarded the fact that sex is natural and very much a necessity. I will never understand this, and it leads me to wonder how misguided we really are as a species.




RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By R Nilla on 4/11/2008 6:01:23 PM , Rating: 5
And what's more, most people don't engage in violent acts, murder, or gun fights in the streets, but most certainly DO engage in sexual activities behind closed doors. Yet in public they are adamant about pretending that sex doesn't exist.

Baffling.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By mindless1 on 4/11/2008 6:54:30 PM , Rating: 4
It's about greed. What do those with a lot of money fear the most? That you will find happiness in ways that makes you less of a consumer of products and services rather than moreso. It may seem oversimplified, but it is in the interest of some to suggest you need to do a lot of work, gain skills that benefit society, and have a large good credit line so you have maximum spending power.

The problem is that many of these factors are actually good for economic prosperity and general well being in modern society.

As for violence, the reason it is so accepted is it is illegal to actually do it in real life. We can and do remove those from society who can't refrain from it while we can't technically arrest people for having sex even if our own moral, religious, etc, standards make us feel it is inappropriate in some cases.

It's not that I'm advocating anything above, but the masses are muppets who just repeat what they were taught and personally I suspect it does also have a bit to do with our military might and that in being a younger country, it wasn't that many generations ago we (in USA) had to fight for independence and abolish slavery, two battles that tended to impact everyone at the time. In other words we are less detatched from a violent past but having no ongoing (real) wars today we can conveniently forget what the toll is in lives lost. Ask the average American how many of our troops died in the past quarter and I doubt anyone would know.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By Hydrofirex on 4/12/2008 11:40:36 AM , Rating: 4
quote:
It's about greed. What do those with a lot of money fear the most? That you will find happiness in ways that makes you less of a consumer of products and services

You must be living in a media black whole. Sex and consumerism have been so intricately tied together in American culture. You're whole premise is flawed. The current mainstream hip-hop and rap culture glorifies materialism in the pursuit of sex. I think the unstated equation goes something like: being successful = being rich = having lots of expensive stuff = being sexy = having lots of sex = justifying your existence and being better than other people.

Further, it's not limited to the exploitation of females as it has been in the past. Today male sexuality is just as powerful a commercial force. Also, it's another demographic of consumers trying to live up to a media created ideal of physical and material 'sexy'. You must use these products, and get styled in this way, purchase these clothes, have these things, and then you are worthwhile, cool, and sexy.

I don't mean to single out current mainstream rap culture, and I certainly am not confining that to any single race, because it is currently a global and cross-cultural phenomenon, but I think it is easily the most extreme example of the union of materialism and sex.

HfX


By Ryanman on 5/3/2008 4:17:28 PM , Rating: 2
there's a huge gap between being sexy and having sex. Sluts still aren't celebrated members of society, if you've noticed. Gays regularly have their rights taken away (an echo of jim crow laws if you ask me... accurate right down to the southern religious right planting these unconstitutional bills) and even straight couples only recently won the right to have anal/premarital sex in states like Texas. In Alabama, where I live, NO store is allowed to sell sex toys or pornography of any kind. Some get around it by saying their products are for health etc. but it's still draconian and gross. Even if the APPEAL of sex to the primary consumer market of teenagers is great, our society's acceptance of it is much less.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By masher2 (blog) on 4/11/2008 11:02:01 PM , Rating: 4
> "most people don't engage in violent acts, murder, or gun fights in the streets, but most certainly DO engage in sexual activities "

That's just the point. I'm not worried about my son playing a video game, then going out and decapitating a few people. But getting his girlfriend pregnant after watching a few steamy movies? That's a definite possibility.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By someguy123 on 4/12/2008 1:56:57 AM , Rating: 5
i find it odd this post was down rated, because it's very true. I can't think of a single (sane and stable) person who would develop a blood lust after playing a violent video game, while I'm sure many teenagers are easily "aroused".

although I don't like society's style of dealing with sex by deeming it a travesty, I sort of agree that seeing sex can cause more trouble than seeing violence.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By fxyefx on 4/12/2008 5:26:37 AM , Rating: 3
Wait... isn't that what condoms are for?


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By Hydrofirex on 4/12/2008 11:57:39 AM , Rating: 2
quote:
That's just the point. I'm not worried about my son playing a video game, then going out and decapitating a few people.

And maybe this line of thinking is why we have school shootings, kids hanging racial effigies from trees, sizable groups planning to kill their teachers, gang violence.... the list goes on and on....

And I'm not at all against violent content. On the contrary, I don't beleive there is a correlation between the two. Sex on the other hand is right in everyones face. We live in a sex-saturated media environment with pornography completely accessible to anyone old enough to navigate the web.

I've seen reports of parents going to talk to their kids at 13 about sex, and the kids being interviewed laughing that they had done their "porn phase" at 10 or 11. If your kid wants to watch pornography the porn itself is moot. It's not the "steamy movies" that is going to motivate your kid to have sex and get his girlfriend pregnant, It's his penis.

Hiding sex from your kids is about as smart as hiding the fact that drugs exist. I've always subscribed to the idea that kids will want the stuff you try the hardest to make off-limits the most. Only, they'll be doing so with even less information since no one has taken the time to just be honest about what's up.

HfX


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By masher2 (blog) on 4/12/2008 2:07:44 PM , Rating: 5
> "Hiding sex from your kids is about as smart as hiding the fact that drugs exist"

There's a difference between "hiding the fact that drugs exist", and allowing young children to watch a movie that glorifies the drug culture. It's not just the images that matter, its the context.

> "It's not the "steamy movies" that is going to motivate your kid to have sex and get his girlfriend pregnant, It's his penis."

The point you're missing is that all boys have penises...yet most don't get teenage girls pregnant. You think that's just blind luck? Proper parenting can and does make a difference.

Children from broken homes, low income families, and/or parents that don't properly supervise them are far more likely to have issues with teenage pregnancy, drugs, or the law.

> "I've always subscribed to the idea that kids will want the stuff you try the hardest to make off-limits the most."

Freebase heroin is what I try the hardest to make off-limits to my kids...funny they don't seem to want it the most. And they certainly aren't getting any of it.

> "...and the kids being interviewed laughing that they had done their "porn phase" at 10 or 11"

Your kids, maybe. Not mine.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By dever on 4/12/2008 5:13:32 PM , Rating: 5
Asher is 100% on target here.

Has anyone here ever been "turned on" to do something violent from watching a violent movie? I can't imagine that. If so, there are much more basic problems than movies. Such a person is already missing the most basic respect for human life. Normal people, taught proper and healthy respect for human life, seem able to abstract violence in a way that is not similar to watching sexual content.

Also, as a parent I monitor closely and work to put both violence and sex in their proper context.


By FITCamaro on 4/15/2008 3:39:29 PM , Rating: 2
Well said to you and masher. Parenting makes the difference. Without good parents, it doesn't matter what the government or the schools try to do, it will fail.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By Sungpooz on 4/12/2008 10:17:34 PM , Rating: 4
quote:
Informed parents are the best defence against exposure of inappropriate material to children, though it appears that many are more concerned about sexual matters than graphic violence. Susan Arendt of Game|Life shared the story of an encounter she once had in a game store: “A woman was trying to buy her 12-year old daughter some games for Christmas, and overhearing me talking about games, asked me for advice. She picked up one of the Resident Evils and asked me if it was any good. I told her that it was an excellent game, but quite violent and scary. ‘Oh, that's no problem,’ she replied. ‘But there's no, you know, people having relations in it, is there?’


At THAT paragraph, the blog entry changes topic.

Sorry to critique this but I see a big flaw in what a reader may think after reading this blog entry.

This parenting site represents the opinions of parents who are defending their children from any exposure to "bad stuff".

You can't connect what the parents think are bad for their kids to what they "personally" believe is more appalling. The reason they find sex "appalling" in a video game is because of its exposure to children, NOT because sex in itself is more appalling than violence. Therefore, this poll should represent what parents would be more appalled to expose their children to, rather than what is actually more appalling to them.

A kid getting a girl pregnant is nowhere near as "appalling" as Columbine.

What am I appalled by the most? Violence and killing Because it's a horrible, evil act, but I wouldn't expect my kids to do the same.

What would I hide from my kids? Sex, because it's something special, natural, yet dangerous if done irresponsibly and is more likely to influence my children.

Again, I apologize to seem to criticize the post but I just saw that blaring fault and had mention it, as a lot of people began to play along with false connection.

It should not generalize American's opinions with the ones regarding parents discussing child-sensitive material.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By afkrotch on 4/15/2008 3:03:58 PM , Rating: 2
quote:
Your kids, maybe. Not mine.


Unless you're supervising your kids 24/7, they'll get a chance to look at porn.

I agree with the rest of it, but also, like to add peer pressure from friends is far more likely to have major influence over what your children do, than what a game, movie, tv show, etc else can have. I think it can even negate proper parenting.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By Nox Corporatus on 4/13/2008 7:10:58 AM , Rating: 2
And maybe your son wouldn't go and get his girlfriend pregnant if he knew how to protect himself and her from both that and STDs by wearing condoms, and if he knew how a teen pregnancy would affect him.

I think that people fear their children playing games containing "relations", because they know that their children has had no sex ed, because even mentioning sex is taboo. So people should attempt to address the sex ed part first in order to alleviate the worries about the effects of films and games.

Teens are aware -- I should hope -- that killing someone gets you in jail. But are they aware of how many responsibilities you have when you're a parent? Do they know how little freedom they get and how much patience they must have? I doubt that. =/


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By masher2 (blog) on 4/13/2008 9:29:40 AM , Rating: 2
> "And maybe your son wouldn't go and get his girlfriend pregnant if he knew how to protect himself and her from both that and STDs by wearing condoms"

The "maybe" in that phrase is the key word. Condoms aren't a perfect defense, against either pregnancy nor STDs.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By FITCamaro on 4/15/2008 3:43:44 PM , Rating: 2
Unfortunately you have professors and others saying they are. Even Trojan commercials say that they don't protect against STDs. But I had a friend in college who swore by a professor somewhere who said condoms will prevent you from getting AIDS. I used the example of AIDS patents my mom delivered drugs to and thought the same thing before they got AIDS.


By Ryanman on 5/3/2008 4:35:06 PM , Rating: 2
they won't prevent you getting it, but they do have around a 75% STD blockage rate when you use them perfectly. Personally, I still wouldn't play those odds.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By clovell on 4/14/2008 4:51:24 PM , Rating: 2
But, there isn't any way for a teenager to know how a teen pregnancy will affect him. Teenagers aren't swayed by logic or reasoning.

That's no excuse for not talking to your kids about sexe, but let's not be fooled inot thinking that Sex Ed is a panacea.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By AzureKevin on 4/13/2008 11:16:09 PM , Rating: 2
I definitely agree with your point that violent video games aren't going to cause children to want to commit violent acts, having been one just a few short years ago. However, by the same argument, I don't believe steamy movies or sex in video games have very much influence on people's decisions to want to have sex either. We are living beings with bodies that have reproductive organs and hormones. We were explicitly designed for sex far more so than we were designed for harming one another, and there's really no use trying to hide from it.

If unwanted pregnancy is the main concern here, then I am a huge proponent for education and knowledge. It really is the solution to just about everything. Consider the hunger issues in Africa and other poor countries. Their problems are compounded, if not downright caused by the fact that they are having more children than they can afford to raise. But they lack technology, therefore they haven't been watching any raunchy videos. And what else do they lack? Education.

I am not trying to condone sexual content in media. I just find it a little strange that we think witnessing violence and killing is more acceptable, or at least on par in acceptability as witnessing natural acts of love.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By Hiawa23 on 4/14/2008 8:49:14 AM , Rating: 2
I have a 10 year old daughter, & I talk to her on a regular basis about sex, about notifying myself or her mother if anyone innapropriately touches her. What's so funny to me is alot of parents can't or don't want to talk to their kids about sex & all the problems it causes.

Like someone said, sex is like taboo or something, & some parents just want to put their head in the sands & hope they don't have to deal with it. I monitor what games my daughter plays which is why she has a Wii. I monitor what TV shows & movies she watches, & for those who says that rap music & hip hop culture glorifies sex, hate to break it to you, it aint just Hip Hop, turn on your tv or radio. It's all over te place.

Parents need to be informed & stay on top of what their kids are doing, & should preach abstinance, but if that fails should also give them other safety options. Problem is some parents just want to blame everyone & everything other than themselves when something goes wrong with their kids. Another thing parent should think about is look at their child as a human like us adults, the are going to make mistakes like us adults.

I am just glad I had parents who talked to me about the pitfalls of sex, violence, & stuff & they preached abstinance but in my teens I was sexually active. I just thank God my parents atleast gave me options like condoms, which I used until my final year of college when my then live in girlfriend ended up pregnant, but I was in my 20s about to graduate with a degree in business & she had another year to go & finished the following year. The point I am making is humans need to take control & repsonsibility for their lives & quit blaming videogames, music, movies or celebs for what they do.

Lastly, one of the greatest talks my mother gave me when I was a teen was: It's okay to to want to be like Tupac, my favorite rapper, or Michael Jordan, my favorite sports figure or any celeb, in their perspective fields, but they are flawed humans like the rest of us & just cause they make more money doesn't make their lifestyles okay. It's up to your father & I to teach you right from wrong so you can make good decisions for yourself, so that you become a good productive member of society. What this meant to me was it's okay to want to be able to put a ball in the hoop like MJ, or rap like Tupac, but life choices should be made based on good & good moral values, not what you see them do, & I never forgot that. Another thing she said was MJ Tupac should not be your role model just cause of their job, we should be your role model, as it's our job to mold you into a good person, or teachers, policemen, good members of society.

To this day I don't look at any celeb as a role model just cause of what they do in their field, but look at their life choices, this determines who & what is a role model not how much money, cars, houses, points they score in games. Perhaps more parents should take this route.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By clovell on 4/14/2008 4:47:15 PM , Rating: 2
Natural acts of love are between two people, not witnessed by third parties.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By nekobawt on 4/15/2008 12:25:16 PM , Rating: 3
Unless those two people are into that. ;)


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By AnnihilatorX on 4/11/2008 6:21:16 PM , Rating: 4
I agree.

I find it interesting as modern society, that people find creating life (sex) offensive, but destroying life (murder and violence) less so.

If I vote I'd probably vote 2 man kissing though heh.


By MrPoletski on 4/16/2008 1:41:21 AM , Rating: 2
I find it interesting as modern society, that people find creating life (sex) offensive, but destroying life (murder and violence) less so.

Indeed, the same people also find destroying life that hasn't been born yet even more offensive.

Methinks they just can't get their hole and are taking it out on those that can;)


By Polynikes on 4/15/2008 11:16:06 AM , Rating: 2
Our species was corrupted by religion. It is the source of our moral aversion to sex. The US was founded and populated by religious extremists. That legacy lives on, and is one of the few things I don't like about my country.


RE: A Very Unfortunate Predicament
By afkrotch on 4/15/2008 2:51:42 PM , Rating: 2
quote:
This example is reflected not only in video games, but society in general. We spends millions, maybe billions of dollars on weapons development and the military. We glorify war, violence, and killing in movies and TV shows. Meanwhile, sex is taboo, and anything that has even a hint of sex is often considered sleazy, immoral, or just plain wrong. We've completely disregarded the fact that sex is natural and very much a necessity. I will never understand this, and it leads me to wonder how misguided we really are as a species.


Violence is as natural as sex is. Ever see two dogs fight over a small plot of land? Over a female dog?

Wars are just grand scales of our instinctive needs to fight over our differences, leading to the injury or death of the opposing force.

Just in the US society, sex is more closed off and hidden than many other countries. Think Euro Trip stated it best, when in the movie, they said the prudes in England moved to the US.


By FITCamaro on 4/15/2008 3:35:38 PM , Rating: 2
How do we glorify war and violence? Because video games, television, and movies show it? Television and movies show just as much sex as war and violence. Games don't only because people complain.


Sweet
By therealnickdanger on 4/11/2008 7:48:59 PM , Rating: 1
I know people areound here don't like my opinion on this, but I'm glad people are more offended by sex than violence. They should be. Sex tends to have a deeper impact on people (no pun intended) because it is such an intimate act. Severed heads have been made public for thousands of years as a corporal punishment. I realize I need to go into a lot more detail to properly express my opinion, but it's Friday night and it's time to go out!

:P




RE: Sweet
By walk2k on 4/11/2008 8:25:06 PM , Rating: 3
Time to go out and sever some heads!


RE: Sweet
By jlips6 on 4/11/2008 10:43:49 PM , Rating: 2
you gotta go to europe dude...


RE: Sweet
By Nik00117 on 4/12/2008 5:23:07 AM , Rating: 2
He does have a valid point. I Mean the last fear on my moms mind is me going out on a killing spree. However the idea of me having sex, thats not so hard to see. So those parents aren't worried their sons may go out and kill someone but have a baby because they saw it on a game.

Although kids will have sex either way, I find many kids lose their virginity at 15-16, I know I did.


RE: Sweet
By jlips6 on 4/14/2008 11:42:57 AM , Rating: 2
so basically what determines the repulsiveness of an act is the likelyhood that it will occur, not what the act is?


RE: Sweet
By clovell on 4/14/2008 4:54:25 PM , Rating: 2
Not quite. Worry is based on risk, and risk is calculated as the product of an outcome and its probability.


RE: Sweet
By RaptorZA on 4/12/2008 7:18:05 AM , Rating: 2
wouldn't that be capital not corporal?
unless you figured out who to decapitate someone without killing them. If so do tell :)


RE: Sweet
By therealnickdanger on 4/12/2008 5:13:38 PM , Rating: 2
LMAO, you are correct!
</beer>


RE: Sweet
By DanoruX on 4/13/2008 11:29:27 AM , Rating: 2
Brutally killing people is A-OK but god forbid they make love like humans are biologically built to do...

And people wonder why the crime rate in America is much higher than anywhere else - and why it's been going down ever since more and more 13 year olds have had internet access...


RE: Sweet
By B3an on 4/16/2008 7:15:01 AM , Rating: 2
Thats very true. There was similar servery on Norwegian people, and something like 67% found violence more wrong/offensive than sex. It's like this in a lot of western European countries, and you dont see higher teen pregnancies and/or rapings in most, and they have a lower crime rate aswell than the US.

So this whole argument like "Well my kids are far more less likely to go out and cut someones head off" is just retarded. Maybe people should look at the facts first (aye Masher).


RE: Sweet
By MrPoletski on 4/16/2008 1:47:32 AM , Rating: 2
"Sex tends to have a deeper impact on people (no pun intended) because it is such an intimate act."

Having sex has a greater impact on a person than having their head severed?


Zardoz
By Justin Case on 4/12/2008 3:36:19 AM , Rating: 2
"The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!"

PS - I suspect the result of this poll would vary significantly from country to country. Australia got the convicts, the US got the puritans. I'm pretty sure I know who drew the short straw.




RE: Zardoz
By 91TTZ on 4/12/08, Rating: 0
RE: Zardoz
By Justin Case on 4/13/2008 8:23:55 PM , Rating: 2
a) WTF does that have to do with misguided, hypocritical, counter-productive puritanism?

b) The computer I'm using was mostly developed and manufactured in Asia. The CPU was designed in Israel. Maybe you're still running an IBM XT? Things have moved on a bit.

c) HTML was invented at CERN, in Switzerland, and its current version (as well as the current versions of virtually every major internet standard) were developed by people and organizations from all over the world. The same goes for the browser I'm using, and most of the software I run on a daily basis. Unless your idea of "the internet" is manually putting together TCP packets, it's hardly something that any individual country or person can take credit for. Maybe you're related to Al Gore?

d) I am American, you moron.


RE: Zardoz
By BarkHumbug on 4/15/2008 2:03:04 PM , Rating: 2
That must have been the stupidest thing I've read on this whole page. Amazing...


RE: Zardoz
By MrPoletski on 4/16/2008 1:54:15 AM , Rating: 2
"The computer that you're using and the internet you're posting on were both developed in the USA."

I think you'll find that Sir Tim Berners Lee, a British man, was the guy who pioneered the internet. Also, the computer you are using was built in china/taiwan and designed using techniques and technologies aquired from around the world - notably Japan and the UK.

And by doing well do you mean on the verge of economic collapse?


2 women kissing?
By kattanna on 4/11/2008 5:14:13 PM , Rating: 2
i guess that doesnt offend anyone?

i know it doesnt offend me




RE: 2 women kissing?
By TheDoc9 on 4/11/2008 5:18:08 PM , Rating: 2
Our social programing is working out great.


RE: 2 women kissing?
By Etsp on 4/11/2008 10:13:14 PM , Rating: 2
It would probably bother Kyle's mom. But that's just because... http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/150066/?tab=...


Interesting, but doesnt belong here.
By Myg on 4/13/2008 9:49:38 AM , Rating: 2
I find it interesting that this appears on a tech news site; this is a moral/parenting issue and not technical one.

The peron who put this snippet up obviously has a personal agenda behind the post and it seems to me more of a "smirk and kneejerk" reaction then a properly reasoned one.

So, in turn I will respon with what I can muster of a counter-agenda. Excuse me if its a bit lacking.

------------------------------------------------- -----------

"Believe it or not, the choice between taking life or creating life is one that is very unclear to parents."

- In a perfect world, where everyone would get married first before having sex and there were no contraceptives/abortion clincs and people actually took responsiblity for taking part in their acts of making love (acceping complications and possible death from them too). Such a poll would reveal a clear and denfinite arguement to the state of "moral vision" and would support the agenda your looking to fulfill.

Unfortunatly, things here arnt that simple (should be), and because of the complexity of the nature of the act and the beings who preform it, its always going to be a #1 priority/regulation in people's minds.

To explain:

Sex is a permanent spiritual and emotional bond between people and it can even been described as a language in itself. The way people treat the "language" of making love these days has gotten to the point where its mirroring the effect of bad language upon society: Destroying good, cohesive and reasoned descriptions (relationships) and sucking people into a quagmire of looking for emotional high and "sound-clip" media states of mind.

From this, we can start to see why sex has been used to control people in many different ways; people in positions of care, parents and relatives abusing kids, large scale rapes during conflicts and war. Its an easy way to assume control, push ideas and medicate the masses and get them to buy your "ripped for her pleasure" condoms so the pharma CEO can have a bigger paycheck and his new Jag.

Anyways, the point being that parents recognise this through gut feelings, alot of their own experience, regrets, pain and hurts of their own, they want to spare their children from the same experiences. It should be commended, instead of assuming such simple ends. Infact, its instilling the inherent idea in which the USA was founded upon, "freedom". To release yourself from destructive habits imposed by others and to use your will to pave strength over adversity without fear of being stopped by those above and around you. Its about rising up to the stars and being as good as you can with all that God has given you!

This all needs to be taken in context with cultural and genetic aspects also, since certain "vices" or habits are present more in some countries then others (in some more families/people then others), and are most likely part of a weakness passed on from generation to generation within families. So depending on the country, it would need to be taken with a plus or minus percentage to that particular genetic set of habits, educations and idealogical exposure to particular trains of thought which feed off of the instincual nature of the inhabitants.

In closing, the whole point to my arguement is that you assume its worse to kill someone then to fill their mind with sexually preverting content (pornography, among things, is just that). Theres a reason why in some countries raping carries more years then killing, im sure you can figure it out.

------------------------------------------------- -----------

RE: "STD spreading"; Why do you think AIDS and other STDs spread so quickly? If people actually waited till they found someone to spend the rest of their lives with (to marry of course), didnt cheat, took more responsiblity for themselves and their future spouses by getting themselves checked out for anything which could possibly pass between them and their possible spouse. There would be no AIDS problem, nor any STD problem; Such diseases would be avoided to be passed in the first place.

Education is the fix to the problem, but people assume too much and teach too little these days, and throw fat-cat feeding corporate bandages on the problem, such as contraception (condoms/pill/etc..).

------------------------------------------------- -----------

"Perhaps as a strange demonstration of social values, those who voted in the poll reported that sexual matters of any sort were more offensive than explicit violence or profanity"

- This is infinitly argueable, but to follow up the above explanation, its more in the motivation. Violent sex acts are motivated by sex or control, which the previous explanations cover somewhat (I hope).

While a purely violent act of killing for the sake of randomness, dislike, fear or hate in essence brings one person closer to peace (why do you think some people feel justfied when someone is violent to them for their beliefs; its not a coincidence), while the other remains. Sex on the other hand imposes upon both of the people and spreads because there is a massive amount of feelings attached and they easily blind people to the truth.

I do not condone violence, I am just trying to put it in its place in the big picture. Violence makes me sick when I see it on TV these days, but its something that I can get over easily (few days), sex on the other hand makes me worry for my soul (dont like picking up images in my mind that wont go away for months).




RE: Interesting, but doesnt belong here.
By jlips6 on 4/14/2008 11:47:57 AM , Rating: 2
They post this here because it's talking about parent reaction to video game content.

:|


By nekobawt on 4/15/2008 12:24:35 PM , Rating: 2
Yeah, go figure.

To Myg: I may not be speaking for ALL women, mind you, but I personally prefer my condoms ribbed, not ripped, as the latter has a much better chance of resulting in babies/STDs, and preventing such is pretty much the whole point of condoms...:P


Not that surprising...
By smitty3268 on 4/11/2008 10:47:40 PM , Rating: 3
Although I might have guessed that the two men kissing option would have been higher.

You can see this behavior in the way movies are rated - even the tiniest glimpse of nudity earns an instant R rating, while you can spend 2 hours of constant profanity and violence, and still get a PG-13 rating.

It's all due to religion, which teaches us that sex is something sacred. Meanwhile, precisely because the crazy violence found in entertainment isn't as likely to happen in real life, people can view it as escapist harmless fantasy with no real connection to the world.




RE: Not that surprising...
By MrPoletski on 4/16/2008 1:56:14 AM , Rating: 2
I got my violence in high-def ultra realism.

All a part of this great nation.


They've got a point
By kyleb2112 on 4/12/2008 5:44:03 AM , Rating: 3
In terms of what's more likely to screw up a kid's life sex is pretty high on the list. For every kid who goes columbine and makes headlines there are hundreds that face unwanted pregnancies, abortions, and STDs--with permanent, life changing repercussions. Sex has earned its high place on the parental threat list, unfashionable though that may be.

For younger kids there is also the fear of them learning about the birds and the bees first from some jaded media source.

Plus we're all puritans and like to burn witches!




RE: They've got a point
By Silver2k7 on 4/12/2008 12:30:32 PM , Rating: 2
I thought this was the 21st Century and we encouraged the freedom of religion (Witches). (-:


Blame Canada
By Inkjammer on 4/12/2008 1:47:15 AM , Rating: 2
quote:
"We must blame them and cause a fuss before somebody thinks of blaming us!"
Reading this, the only thing I can think of is the South Park movie. This was the entire message of the film, and as messed up as it is, there is so much bitter truth to South Park it's ridiculous.




Flawed Survey
By Screwuhippie on 4/14/2008 9:36:21 AM , Rating: 2
One major problem with these kind of surveys is ... they don't adequetly survey what people think. Presented with four options and only being allowed to choose one doesn't mean anything. Which is more offensive. Heck all 4 are ... how am I suppose to rank them. This not only means nothing but drawing any sort of conclusion from this is the same crap that politicians are shoving down our throats on a daily basis. You can't expect to get real answers from a multually exclusive poll like this.

If you ask a parent would you like to see a severed head. No. Sex in a game? No. Two men kissing ... probably No. F-words? No. So ... this poll is pointless. Its like picking between having your kid solomized or raped. Which would you pick. Freaking neither. So ... stop dishing out pointless survey's America/Everyone and focus on the real issues.

Blah




Basic Human Impulse
By mikefarinha on 4/14/2008 12:17:05 PM , Rating: 2
I don't understand why people find this concept so hard to understand.

Parents try to protect their kids from sexual content because it is such a powerful instinctive drive in human nature, violence isn't.

Good parents want their kids to focus on self-development and improvement, not procreation. Once a person procreates their responsibilities shift from self-development to child rearing and familial support.

The basic development of an individual in our culture is to first gain skills that will prove useful to society, then reap the benefits of exploiting those skills to start and support a family. It is much harder to gain skills after starting a family.

It is also much more common to become a sex addict than a serial killer.

In most people violence doesn't have this level of instinctive drive. Most people aren't driven to random acts of violence, only the seriously disturbed are.

But I do agree that the more exposure to violence the more people will be desensitized and able to justify in their minds reasons to commit random acts of violence. But the fact that our culture's fundamental values are based on Christian values(like it or not) means that as a whole we are a more passive and forgiving society, and less prone to violence despite our exposure.

I think we as a society should reduce our self-exposure to both, but I think sexual content has a greater negative impact on a decent culture than violence.

Also think about this, how often is violence instigated by sexual desires?




By Reclaimer77 on 4/14/2008 4:04:59 PM , Rating: 2
Are you guys serious ? You know-it-alls making bombastic doom and gloom predictions about our society all based on a poll that your taking out of context ! For god sakes, be more responsible and less full of yourselves. Do you know how these polls are even taken ? Your walking through a shopping mall when someone with a clipboard offers you a few bucks to answer some questions. Questions you probably spend 3 seconds thinking about your answer because you just want to get back to what you were doing. I mean, come on guys, this isn't what I would call a basis for dooming our entire culture.

Plus the author is making a false assumption, and the rest of you are going with it like a pack of Wilderbeasts. Being more appalled by something in a VIDEO GAME is entirely different than saying they are GENERALLY more appalled by one over the other. Note the context here, please !

The Valtrex commercial states " a recent poll discovered 1 out of every 5 adults has genital Herpies ". One out of five !!?? Well a poll said it, so that must be true right ? Hogwash.




Stop...
By AmishElvis on 4/15/2008 1:39:51 PM , Rating: 2
...in the name of American Squimishness!




Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll.
By teckytech9 on 4/12/2008 2:16:41 AM , Rating: 1
Probably the parents of these parents experienced the Woodstock lifestyle, and these parents that responded to this survey were deprived of experiencing this lifestyle themselves.




Conducted in the Middle East
By FS on 4/12/08, Rating: -1
RE: Conducted in the Middle East
By FS on 4/12/08, Rating: 0
RE: Conducted in the Middle East
By FaceMaster on 4/13/08, Rating: 0
RE: Conducted in the Middle East
By FS on 4/13/2008 2:37:13 PM , Rating: 2
You're actually proving my point by your stupid comment instead of writing something on topic. Anyways, I won't stoop low to your level so if you have anything to write on topic then go ahead and try again.

PS: I will wait and see if anyone can actually point out why my comment could've been rated down or why was it rated down if you were the one who rated it down. Not that I care abt the rating, but just trying to understand what could've been the reasoning behind it. Sometimes it's clear, ex: If you are a Muslim and support terrorists and I call a terrorist a terrorist, you will get pissed off and just rate me down to take out your anger but in this case it's not very clear ... or maybe the case is similar here too(I am telling the truth and you don't like it because you're part of it).


By FaceMaster on 5/8/2008 4:45:00 AM , Rating: 2
Just face the fact that your Mum can't handle the truth


RE: Conducted in the Middle East
By jlips6 on 4/14/2008 12:14:52 PM , Rating: 1
glad people are becoming godless, they should do what is right, not what they're invisible best friend thinks is right and not try to justify their actions via religion.

Im Jewish by the way, but I don't have to believe everything about a religion to be a part of the culture.

quote: "they think they are right and have the best morals and the west is immoral."

And you think so highly of them right? Maybe their opinions are justified by past actions, which grew in to a stereotype. Hate is never good, but there is always a reason behind it which should not be dismissed as "they're just savages". I'm not trying to quote you, but this is the tone you are using. You yourself are using a stereotype.

the media portrays sexuality in it's own way, which may in fact be immoral, true. Sexuality in and of itself is not evil. so "titties all over the media, is immoral only in the sense in which they are portrayed. Shampoo commercials in Germany. Is that immoral? Or is that your perception?

quote "...and the middle eastern are a bunch of warmongering losers living in the dark ages."

don't be a potty mouth. :)
They are definitely waring, but not all of them are warmongers. In fact, I would say many of them despise living in a war zone and see the wars as stupid. "Living in the dark ages?"
...
...
...
What the F are you talking about?
Are you assuming they don't have the technology and know how we have in America or wherever you live? Because they definitely do. and the dark ages was in Europe. The middle East flourished at that time period.


"We shipped it on Saturday. Then on Sunday, we rested." -- Steve Jobs on the iPad launch














botimage
Copyright 2014 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki