backtop


Print


Image courtesy of 4Car
Honda's new Accord can takes adaptive cruise control to the next level

Many high end luxury cars from Lexus, Mercedes and BMW have adaptive cruise control systems that can keep a preset distance from the car in front of you on the highway. If the car in front of you slows down, the computer will cut back on the throttle to maintain the preset distance. The systems can also compensate for panic braking and apply full braking pressure to avoid an accident.

Honda UK has taken this "autopilot" feature to the next level. Their new Accord ADAS (Advanced Driver Assist System) not only features adaptive cruise control, but it also can steer itself around curves on the highway (at speeds between 45MPH and 112MPH). But don't think that you can just dose off and let the car drive completely for you -- the system beeps every ten seconds to make sure that you're alive and alert.

The car will only provide 80 per cent of the steering torque needed to keep the car in lane - the remaining 20 per cent has to be supplied by you. This is Honda's get-out-of-jail-free card. If LKAS detects that your hands aren't on the wheel, or are simply resting there, it will emit a couple of warning beeps - verbal slaps on the wrist - while continuing to steer. Then, after a period of 6 to 15 seconds, it'll disengage completely.

More here.





"My sex life is pretty good" -- Steve Jobs' random musings during the 2010 D8 conference
Latest Headlines
Nokia 3310 with longer battery life
February 28, 2017, 7:05 AM
How Apple watch Series 2 differ from the S1
February 18, 2017, 5:37 AM
Chuwi LapBook
February 6, 2017, 6:49 AM










botimage
Copyright 2017 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki