E15 Fuel Could Damage Cars According to Automakers, DOE Says "Whatever"
May 17, 2012 9:57 AM
Automakers claim E15 damaged 2 out of 8 test cars
The fuel people pump into their vehicles around the country today can have up to 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol content. However, the federal government is proposing a new fuel standard called
. This fuel would increase the ethanol content in fuel to 15%, leaving just 85% gasoline.
The federal government has approved the use of E15 in some vehicles, but automakers and oil refiners are now claiming that the E15 standard could lead to damage in some vehicle engines. The new E15 formula damaged engines in two of the eight vehicles used in high mileage tests according to a study backed by automakers and oil refiners.
"(These) objective scientific tests have found disturbing evidence that increasing the amount of ethanol in gasoline above the current 10 percent causes serious damage to car engines," said American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers President Charles Drevna in a statement.
These are cars EPA has approved to run on E15 and are representative of approximately 5 million vehicles in the nation's existing fleet."
This is a significant finding as American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers has found that even cars that are spec’d to run E15 are experiencing a rather high failure rate. If this were to be the case, drivers of vehicles that have no trouble running E10 would be in for a rude awakening with E15.
However, the Department of Energy (DOE) isn’t buying these claims. DOE vehicle technology program manager Patrick Davis wrote on the DOE blog, "The Energy Department conducted its own rigorous … study. (It) showed no statistically significant loss of vehicle performance."
"Death Is Very Likely The Single Best Invention Of Life" -- Steve Jobs
UPDATED: Gasoline with 15% Ethanol Could be Here by the Summer
March 14, 2011, 2:00 PM
Dubai announces passenger drone plans.
February 14, 2017, 7:56 AM
Lucky LA Residence
January 28, 2017, 4:00 AM
Debuted at CES 2017 - Corning Gorilla Glass Concept Car
January 7, 2017, 3:02 AM
Happy, healthy and feastive New Year to you and everyone in the world that about to celebrate the Season Holidays
January 1, 2017, 12:01 AM
In 2017, Here are the New Autos of 2018
December 30, 2016, 5:00 AM
What Happens When You Put a Blind Man in a Driverless Car?
December 14, 2016, 5:00 AM
Most Popular Articles
Samsung Galaxy S8, Rumored Launch Date!
March 18, 2017, 6:45 AM
Lenovo MIIX 510 – Excellent 2-In-One Tablet with Unique Watchband Hinge
March 17, 2017, 7:50 AM
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 – Intel Thunderbolt 3 Certified Motherboard
March 9, 2017, 6:25 AM
Lenovo ThinkPad T460 - Ultra-Thin and Feather-light
March 3, 2017, 6:00 AM
Nokia has ditched this camera technology in its new smartphones
March 7, 2017, 8:45 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Are you thinking of performance and speed? Intel claims:
Mar 25, 2017, 7:45 AM
Apple buys an automation app called Workflow. The deal was completed today and brings the app along with its developers.
Mar 23, 2017, 7:35 AM
Apple Announces new color for iPhones and iPads
Mar 22, 2017, 7:45 AM
Instagram: You Can Now Save Live Videos For Later
Mar 21, 2017, 7:49 AM
Samsung Galaxy S8 to Get New Color Scheme
Mar 20, 2017, 7:45 AM
What else to worry about?
Mar 17, 2017, 6:45 AM
Icon of the Day: Intel/ NVIDIA or Mobileye
Mar 16, 2017, 6:15 AM
JUST IN - Twitter Hijacked : High-Profile Account Accesses
Mar 15, 2017, 7:07 AM
Mar 14, 2017, 7:30 AM
News and Tips
Mar 13, 2017, 6:30 AM
iPhone 8 – May Not Get Curved Screen
Mar 11, 2017, 8:00 AM
California paves way to self-driving car tests without humans
Mar 11, 2017, 7:18 AM
Smart Machines V hackers
Mar 10, 2017, 7:00 AM
Uber Can Resume Autonomous Car Testing in California
Mar 9, 2017, 6:50 AM
Mar 8, 2017, 7:09 AM
Mar 7, 2017, 8:45 AM
World news 3-6
Mar 6, 2017, 5:40 AM
Mar 4, 2017, 7:40 AM
Mixed News of the Day
Mar 4, 2017, 6:32 AM
Jaguar Land Rover invests in ride-sharing
Mar 3, 2017, 7:00 AM
Mixed News of The World:
Mar 2, 2017, 7:02 AM
World New 3-1
Mar 1, 2017, 6:30 AM
More Blog Posts
Copyright 2017 DailyTech LLC. -
Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information