backtop


Print

Melting victim to receive a new handset

Samsung Electronics Comp., Ltd.'s (KSC:005930) Android flagship phone, the Galaxy S III launched this week, but apparently this hot piece of technology was a little too hot.  The device escaped a last minute sales ban at the hands of Apple, Inc. (AAPL), but at least one of the smartphones couldn't escape its own overheating issues.

A user who goes by the handle dillo2k10 reportedly had his new smartphone burst into white-hot flames then exploded with a loud bang while charging it on the way home in his car.  Carphone Warehouse, the retailer is working with Samsung to investigate the incident.

A concerned Samsung wrote on its blog:

Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question. Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously.

The owner will be receiving a replacement for their molten device.

Galaxy S III
This Galaxy S III didn't survive its fire/explosion. [Image Source: Boards.ie/dillo2k10]

The Galaxy S III is hardly the first piece of mobile electronics to explode, catch ablaze, or otherwise melt down in transit.  In 2010 a smoking iPod forced a Tokyo train to make an emergency stop during rush hour.  Apple, Inc. (AAPL) refused to comment on the incident or acknowledge, at the time, that its device had heating issues.

Sources: Boards.ie, Samsung Today





"If they're going to pirate somebody, we want it to be us rather than somebody else." -- Microsoft Business Group President Jeff Raikes







Latest Blog Posts
Apple in the News
Saimin Nidarson - Apr 4, 2017, 9:03 AM






botimage
Copyright 2017 DailyTech LLC. - RSS Feed | Advertise | About Us | Ethics | FAQ | Terms, Conditions & Privacy Information | Kristopher Kubicki